What is your reaction to cold e-mails?

How do you react to unsolicited e-mails?

• Erase it without reading

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I read it altough it makes me angry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends on the offer, maybe it is useful

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I like to know the offers and promotions so i give a shot.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Beko

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Hello!

I have been reading the forum for a couple of months; now i registered because i need your opinion as cafe owners.

Assume there is a free product; and can be useful for some of cafes & bars.

How do you react if you receive an unsolicited e-mail only one time (to your business' e-mail) which is introducing this free product?

Why is cold calling is acceptable to a point whereas unsolicited e-mails are so unpleasant; altough the product is completely free and can be useful?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Beko"

The problem with unsolicited E-mails is that they end up in a SPAM or Junk Mail folder. Then, they're usually deleted without being read.

The manager of the cafe where I work always complains about all of the junk that ends up in her E-mail in-box, even though she has a SPAM filter. And practically all of the junk stuff gets deleted. When she goes away for a few days, I usually get the assignment to sit at her computer, and look through the In-box, and delete the junk.

On the other hand, when someone comes walking through the door and drops off a free sample and some literature, she won't come out and talk to the person, but after they leave, she usually takes a look at whatever it is. Sometimes if she's interested, she calls the person to discuss it further.....you never know. It's nicer to have the item in your hands and look at it then it is to read an E-mail description.

When people send E-mails offering free samples, you have to take the time to respond with your name and address, etc. It's not worth the hassle, especially if you're not interested or looking for a particular item in the first place.

Rose

John P

Jan 5, 2007
Salt Lake City
Visit site
As an owner, I have limited time, and I certainly do not have time for something I didn't ask for. The "lets send out 10,000 emails and see who responds" is both insulting and a waste of my time.

For those of you who do want to peddle, or provide something useful, read, research, or actually become a customer of various coffee shops, you should be able to assess whether they can use your product or not. Being a respected provider of goods is about matching product and customer, and you first need to understand the customer to do that.

Cold calling, whether e-mail or in person, is only for the person who wants to sell, as compared to the one who wants to provide something truly useful.