question about commissary

hulamanz

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Greetings all, I am in the process of opening a small coffee kiosk and need a commissary to meet Health Department regulations. I have approached a local roaster to act as both my supplier and commissary. He is hesitant about being my commissary however, citing liability concerns. Is there any reason he should be concerned? Is there something I can do to ease his mind? Thanks for any opinions.

Coffee Kiosk

Greetings all, I am in the process of opening a small coffee kiosk and need a commissary to meet Health Department regulations. I have approached a local roaster to act as both my supplier and commissary. He is hesitant about being my commissary however, citing liability concerns. Is there any reason he should be concerned? Is there something I can do to ease his mind? Thanks for any opinions.

So, to help ease the mind of the roaster you'd be working with, I'd secure a business insurance policy for yourself. You can show the local roaster that all liability will fall solely under yourself. To really ensure he is covered...you can list the roaster as an additional name on your policy. When I first started, I did that and it worked out great. It also helps that I would work with the roaster and they could see I was careful with the equipment and learned it's nuances to ensure safety. I hope that helps some.

hulamanz

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Good answer. I found a roaster who is coincidentally an attorney as well. He knows exactly what he wants. Thanks for your help.

hulamanz

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Hi Rose, He kind of reminds me of the Remington (I think) shaver guy who liked the razor so much he bought the company. He's an attorney that was roasting at his home as a hobby, for family and friends. Things got out of hand and now he's got a great little shop. Where are you in Phila?