Roasters: How much and how much?

MindxInc

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
The question I'm asking here is, how much green coffee are you buying, and how much is that quantity costing you?

I am working on bringing a couple of tons to the US, and I want to offer it at competitive rates. It has been hard for me to figure out what people are buying for.

Thanks!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
What is the quality level if the beans in question? Where are they from?

High grown? Shade grown? Which variety of arabica beans? What kind of cupping score are we talking?

MindxInc

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
What is the quality level if the beans in question? Where are they from?

High grown? Shade grown? Which variety of arabica beans? What kind of cupping score are we talking?

O.K.
So lets say they are the beans I have available currently. Grown at 1500-1800 meters, Cattura and Catuai. Shade grown, full washed process. SCAA cupping score 86.5. Can provide more tasting notes but I'm trying to get a feel for how much roasters are paying for beans. I don't necessarily want to start a logistics business, but I do want to start roasting and bringing a large volume which I will partially sell and partially roast is appealing to me. That way I don't have to pay a ton of money for shipping and not making use of my available space.

I don't mind not making "a ton of money" as coffee junky suggested, I just want to supplement a roaster and make use of my shipping space.

-Diego

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Just off the top of my head, if any of the importers I work with had a Guatemala worth buying right now it would be in the $3.50-$4 range. And freight from them to me would add ~15cents per lb.

MindxInc

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Just off the top of my head, if any of the importers I work with had a Guatemala worth buying right now it would be in the $3.50-$4 range. And freight from them to me would add ~15cents per lb.

Palate at a time I assume? This could totally cover shipping costs without the extra .15/lb.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Simple thing is to verify the cost with whole sale company i have listed up there.
If you are competitive in price with shipping included, I am sure you will find some buyers around.
Do price comparison and post up the differences. And send some samples to roasters and see what happens.