New Ethiopian Green Coffee Exporter

Gobana

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

**Edit = Currently only have the ability to provide minimum quantity of 1 container (20 tons)**

My brother who lived most of his life in Canada decided to go back home (Ethiopia) to get involved in exporting Ethiopia's main domestic products specifically coffee. Gobana international was created, his company is based out of Addis Ababa and he is currently living there as well. I live in Ottawa, currently we are already exporting to the Asia and the middle east our next market is North America. My plan is to go to all the coffee conferences etc to promote our company.

My question to the people in this forum is directed to any company or person who is interested in Ethiopian Green coffee
1. What would be the best way to approach roasters, whole sellers etc.
2. Which form of initial contact would buyers prefer email, phone call, or in person?
3. How much of an interest is there for Ethiopian coffee specifically in Canada?
4. What would it take for a buyer to try a new supplier?

Our goal is to find buyers and provide samples, our mission is to not just provide our coffee but provide better prices and service than whoever you might currently be buying your green Ethiopian coffee from currently. Our niche is that we grew up in Canada and understand the risks involved with importing from an unknown company in another country. Therefore we strive to provide the added comfort of knowing that we have reps like myself who live in Canada.

Any input is wanted, we're new in North America market and we want to make a splash, we want to be known for consistency and great service. With high grade Ethiopian green coffee straight from the source, Ethiopia! My Country!

Thank You

Sami​

Last edited:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Sami,

I think North American market is big and very competitive.
I would suggest if you are already doing business in Asia and Middle East, I would try to get bigger market share out there.
Ethiopian Coffee is well represented here and you wouldn't need to educated anyone but you will also run into very competitive market.
Many of the whole sale company gets there beans directly from the origin. But if your product is good and price is very competitive, you will find many buyers.

You can google coffee whole sale companies. There are tons of them and they will all look at your product.

Gobana

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Appreciate the reply CoffeeJunky, from what i've been hearing is that you're right it is competitive and large and we are determined to make the business work here.

My role is to start from the grass roots etc, i want to be able to provide the same great Ethiopian green coffee larger importers/roasters/wholesellers are providing to the smaller to medium size buyers but with lower prices. Why buy your green coffee from a whole seller in North America who has marked up the prices when you can get it directly from the source yourself? Since we are just going into business in North America, the opportunity to take out the middle man is there for small to medium buyers.

Until we can become more established and possibly become a whole seller our self...essentially we are providing a grand opening sale! straight from the source, with little mark up! Well that is our goal, our prices are negotiable, our focus is to become well known in North America and we're willing to do it with lower prices than our competition and with the same quality or better.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
I would always be willing to accept samples, and would be buying in the range of 15-20 bags per year.

Depending on where you warehouse your coffees, freight to Wisconsin would be a dealbreaker.

Gobana

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Hi Peterjschmidt,

Currently we don't hold stock on North America (changing soon) at this point i can only offer minimum qunantity of 1 Container (20 tons) direct from Ethiopia. Please check in with me @ sami.gobana@ gmail.com in the next several months we should be set up with stock then.

Thank You

Sami