Information for all sorts of packaging and labeling

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I am looking for advice on the best packaging that I should use to sell my coffee, (1lb bags, tins, jars, etc.) and I need help with creating artwork to go onto the packaging. How have you guys solved these issues?

Jack

Hello Jack,

I'm pretty sure we've had some discussions recently about packaging and artwork.

Have you tried using our handy Search feature that's at the top right corner of your screen? Just type in your search topic and you will see the various thread areas where the topic was discussed.

From what I recall, the 1 lb bags with the one-way valve is what's generally recommended. Tins and jars are attractive, but they don't keep the coffee fresh.

Rose

Redswing

May 30, 2013
Northern California
Visit site
I used Pack-plus, found their prices reasonable. Square Bottom Gusseted Bags, Foil Gusseted Bags, Poly Gusseted Bags, Quad-Seal Gusseted Bags

I designed my own labels that are applied like stickers. Cut-to-Size Label Printing - Individually Cut Labels at UPrinting

I'm sure there are better ways, depends on who you are and what you're going for. A foil lined kraft paper 12-16oz bag with one way degassing valve and a tin tie cost about $.30 each, minimum order 500. The sticker label 3"x4" was about $.15 each for 500.

I am a hobby home roaster, going through about 75lbs a month, and it works for me. I'd love a better design for my label, maybe a stamp or something more custom, just haven't put any time into it.

Cafeciteaux

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
We use Roastar for our bags. They are about a $1 a bag with the tin ties until you get well over 1,000, but they were full print and look and feel great. They can assist you with your artwork or you can hire a kid from the local college in graphic design.

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
North Atlantic bags has great prices and they offer an economy bag that is priced right and seals great. No need to spend big bucks on High Barrier bags unless you are putting it on super market shelves. These economy bags will keep the average homeowners coffee just as fresh for a lot less money.

KaoJaiCoffee

Oct 2, 2014
Nashville, TN
Visit site
Hey Jack,

We work with Pacific Bag Co, which has been a great company to work with. Since we are selling relatively rare Thai coffee, we have been packaging in 8oz quantities using a 12oz biodegradable bag by Biotre Film (Coffee bags and stock & custom packaging for pet food, tea, and specialty food - Pacific Bag, Inc. - Biotre®). The cost is $0.50/bag since we're buying in lower quantities.

In regards to labels, we work with Lightening Labels (based out of Colorado). The labels we've been using are made from Vellum, which is made from 100% recycled post-consumer waste. They look great, feel great & align with our cause for being as eco-friendly as possible. The cost is approx $0.30/label.

If you're interested in any design help, I'd love to connect you with our designer if he has the time. He's a close friend and a killer artist. Here's an example of a label he did, which is all ahnd drawn. Just PM me if you're interested. Hope this helps!
2 (3).png

jaydenlee

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I know may be this is not a time for this recommendation but still, I want you or anyone who is in search of packaging for coffee. Should contact this website and get the packaging for them with the options like: free design support, free shipping, free lamination and some time % age off on all order.

jimmy1

Feb 27, 2018
Visit site
Hello guyz here!
I was reviewing your posts and wanted to share my personal experience with you about packaging and labeling. I am doing business with printcosmo.com that is the best printing press in USA. I would suggest you people to visit this site for packaging Boxes.

roastarBags

Dec 3, 2018
Wausau, WI
Visit site
Hey SpringCreekCoffee! Regarding the best coffee packaging, that really depends on your specific needs. Will you be selling a lot of coffee? If so, tins and jars may not be the best choice since they take up a lot of space for storage. However, they're an awesome option for smaller runs of your really special coffees like an amazing geisha or special holiday blend. But for the normal, day to day coffee sales, flexible packaging is a solid choice. Roastar can hook you up with a designer at roastar.com/find-designer to help you make your packaging stand out and tell your marketing story.

Since coffee needs to de-gas after roasting, you can get custom coffee bags with many different options to fit your packaging needs like degassing valves. Also tin ties, tear notches, and re-sealable zippers for maintaining freshness after opening.