Opening Soon: How many ceramic mugs is TOO many?

BCCafe

Sep 8, 2014
New York
Visit site
Hi Everyone--

Well we open in late November-- and here is yet another question!! Seating capacity is 45 (but only going for 38-40) to start with. One of the activities I love about the shop is it lets me nurture by dish addiction-- I love to look at dishes especially old ones and have quite the array of service ware!

Anyhow-- what I am wondering is if anyone has any advice on how many ceramic espresso, cappuccino cups to purchase for a small shop?

So far on the list I have with saucers (24) 16oz latte mugs, (12) espresso 3oz, (24) 6oz cappuccino, (24) 12oz latte. Paper cup sizes are similar... I am holding of on order the 20 oz cups because I have noticed at other cafes these are often never 'drained' fully...

Any advice or links to wholesalers would be most appreciated-- I'm trying to see what other companies are out there besides Webrestaurant store, ect...

Cheers to YOU! and many thanks!
BCCafe

Last edited by a moderator:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Since, you're going to order on-line and pay shipping, and if you have storage space, you may want to think about doubling your numbers so you'll have plenty of everything on hand. Ceramic items chip and break easily, and it's always better to keep some spares tucked away somewhere (at home in your basement, maybe?)

Will you have a dishwasher or will someone be doing that chore by hand? For example, if you only have (24) 16-oz latte mugs, and you have a morning rush where everyone wants 16 ounces, you're going to run into a problem.

BCCafe

Sep 8, 2014
New York
Visit site
Thanks Pink Rose-- for the latte cups I have 48. The washing is by hand but am considering a small dishwasher. I think most will be 'to go' for the morning rush. I've been shopping on webrestaurant, wholelattelove and javastock for the paper goods & latte cups but now my head is spinning! I am still looking though for wholesalers besides the English Tea Company.... I wish there was one website to compare them all with!! I just can't get over the shipping costs!! Any advice on cup ect suppliers? I'm trying to stay away from having an all white dish service...
:coffee1:

chast

Jul 30, 2006
MA
Visit site
Webstaurantstore.com is the cheapest on most items. I have searched everyone and so far nobody has touched their pricing. Not sure about porcelain cups. I also receive my items in 2 days on the East Coast. Equipment no but consumables yes. Check out Fortuna Enterprises in NC. They have a large selection and their pricing is good.

Kaiskoffee

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Not sure where you are located. However for Dishware we have found it cheaper to use our local stores. For Paper products we use the international paper line. They are cheaper than Webstaurant. However you can only purchase their products at Restaurant Supply Stores.

Kai