My dream is to open a coffee shop. Need advice on what's next.

Dkess

Jan 15, 2016
Quincy. MA
Visit site
Hello I'm new to this forum and if some of my questions were answered in previous posts I'm sorry. Well my dream to own a coffee shop is fairly new though it has always been in my life goals. The dream has just became real after some thoughts that if I am going to do this it should be soon. So I kind of need direction on what's next. I have a good idea of what I want my coffee shop to look like as in geared towards. But I'm wondering what is the next step? I'm thinking of going back to school to learn more of the business side. Is that a good idea? The next questions are ones that go through my head ... Does it matter if it is called a cafe, a coffee house ,a coffee shop or a coffee bar? I would kind of like to have a business email and social media sites but I don't have a name should I wait until I have a name? Thanks in advance for the help. Sorry for all the questions I just have a passion for this and have a job that all I do is think.(security guard)

Last edited by a moderator:

awakecoffees

Feb 5, 2016
Visit site
I started by reading the book The Boss of You: Everything A Woman "Boss of You" Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business. It helped define my vision and organize all those fun and exciting thoughts tumbling around in my brain. It gave me a lot to think about, but came out with a focused direction!
Hope that helps!

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Well... next step is probably planning and building a solid business plan. I would also suggest a business development class called FastTrac New Venture. It was a great class and it will really help you vet your idea.

- FastTrac.org

Rewardster

Mar 5, 2016
Visit site
Opening a business without any business experience is always a risk. Try to avoid investing much of your hard-earned money, until you start earning some income and making a profit. The mistake I often see first-time business owners make is to invest a significant amount of their savings before they know how they're going to repay themselves.

If you have no choice but to make a significant investment in order to start your business, and you've never run a coffee shop before, try interning or getting a job at a small, successful family-owned coffee shop, one in which the owner is willing to teach you, with the express acknowledgement that you won't be opening up a shop near his business.

Hope that helps.