Ever See A 40 Pound Capacity Coffee Roaster Drum for 55 Gallon Barrel?

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
People have asked me for years for a drum for the typical 55 gallon barrels that you see hanging around construction sites, food prep companies, etc. What they do is cut them straight down the long way and put a hinge on the long side. Then burners or charcoal is used in the bottom part and the drum is put in on a rod assembly. I never made one myself (as I have my own smaller roasters), but I am fulfilling the need of customers for the all stainless roaster drum for the setup. Here are pictures of the drum (drum size is 26" in length, 14.5" cylinder diameter, 15" diameter caps, all stainless 18 gauge type 304 welded construction, 4 fins that go length of drum inside for bean mixing). You can see that drum and all others I have in stock at:
http://www.coffeeroastersclub.com/store/coffee-roaster-drum/

Here are some pictures of the beast:

40LBC.jpg

40LBA.jpg

40LBB.jpg

40LBD.jpg

==========

Len

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
How is the 55g drum constructed for dumping of the beans? Interesting....

On one end of the drum the cap has about 1/3rd of it on a flap hinge. Note that the 55 gallon Barrel DIY setups are for people who don't mind the extra labor and outdoor roasting. It is usually a 2 person job to lift the drum out and dump the beans. These type of things are great for farmers markets and artisan down home country roasting. For outdoor loving people. People who love to do BBQ are great for this type of roasting.

Len

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
On one end of the drum the cap has about 1/3rd of it on a flap hinge. Note that the 55 gallon Barrel DIY setups are for people who don't mind the extra labor and outdoor roasting. It is usually a 2 person job to lift the drum out and dump the beans. These type of things are great for farmers markets and artisan down home country roasting. For outdoor loving people. People who love to do BBQ are great for this type of roasting.

Len

I get the BBQ roasting aspect, and would have a blast roasting outside while on a camping trip. The size of this is what is interesting because 40lbs capacity is beyond the hobbyist market. Would be interested in knowing where I could order beans roasted on one of these.

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
I just started offering them about a few days ago as an addition to my coffee roaster drum line (been selling hand made drums for over 13 years now). I have made thousands upon thousands of drums all by hand. Just my wife and I do everything. We cut the metal, roll the perforated sheet metal in our slip roller (a big manual one), bend this and that, weld everthing, etc. The only thing I have another machine shop do is plasma cut our caps. I just don't have the $$$ for a big plasma cutter to cut thick stainless into disks. Our most popular drum is our 5 lb. capacity all stainless for BBQ Grills. We have from 1 lb. capacity all the way up to the now 40 lb. capacity. The drums have also been used alot for roasting peanuts, cashews, chestnuts, pine nuts, macadamia nuts, and even chile peppers.

Len

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
That would be an awesome add on to any roasting business. Michael Sheldrake of Polly's Gourmet Coffee has a vintage (circa 1920's) Probat roaster on site, and roasts peanuts in it as well. Would be a nice "event" to do an outdoor drum roast on occasion. Hope you sell a ton of 'em...

Peaberry

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
Thanks Mr. Peaberry. I've always tried to provide a solution for people who don't want to spend big bucks and want to get started in the coffee roasting business. Hopefully this will add another option for those who don't mind the extra bit of work involved with making the 55 gallon barrel roaster.

Len

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
No, thank YOU Len. I am seriously interested, but am not going down that road just yet. I envision maybe having a roasting company that holds a yearly or biyearly outdoor BBQ potluck event where an outdoor coffee roast is the draw. Could even be a catered offering to do a coffee roast at events such as birthdays, anniversaries, weddings...just thinking out loud.