Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    8

    Help Please: Need Suggestions for Workshop Class On Wholesale Sales

    Hi Guys! I have a business questions for you and would love your input to help prepare for a workshop James Marcotte from Intelligentsia and I are giving on Wholesale Sales.
    For the roasters out there looking to start wholesaling their own brand, what's stopping you, causes you the most anxiety about doing it, and what questions do you have in general about getting into wholesale roasted coffee sales.

    For the Barista's out there looking to get out of the cafe and into the business side of things, what's your barrier to entry, what anxiety do you have about making the switch, and what are you general questions about becoming a wholesale sales rep.


    Thanks in advance for your comments!

  2. #2
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Near Philadelphia, PA
    Posts
    4,509
    Quote Originally Posted by leesafar View Post
    [FONT="]Hi Guys! I have a business questions for you and would love your input to help prepare for a workshop James Marcotte from Intelligentsia and I are giving on Wholesale Sales.[/FONT]
    [FONT="]For the roasters out there looking to start wholesaling their own brand, what's stopping you, causes you the most anxiety about doing it, and what questions do you have in general about getting into wholesale roasted coffee sales.

    For the Barista's out there looking to get out of the cafe and into the business side of things, what's your barrier to entry, what anxiety do you have about making the switch, and what are you general questions about becoming a wholesale sales rep.

    [/FONT]

    Thanks in advance for your comments!
    Even though a person is passionate about his (or her) product, he or she needs to have a certain special type of personality to be able to go into sales. Having to hear the words "no thank you" many times a day would make anyone's enthusiasm fizzle out over time. I think that is one of the biggest roadblocks to taking on the job as a sales rep. Getting out of their comfort zone an diving into the world of sales, is a giant frightening step for many people - and so they don't do it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    746
    Rose is right. There are so many reasons why enthusiasm for coffee, alone, just does not translate into success in sales. It is far easier for someone with sales experience to acquire a passion for coffee, than for an experienced roaster or barista to acquire the skills needed to be successful in sales. Having been in sales most of my adult life, what I can say is that one must appreciate the relationships that develop over time, and respect that a potential customer will NEVER consider dumping a 30 year relationship for some unknown startup wanting to "get their foot in the door". Learning to recognize when "no" really means "NO" will save the ambitious new wholesale rep from a lot of grief and and anxiety, and allow then to spend time on potential customers where "no" really means "maybe" or "convince me". After all sales is a numbers game, or so they tell me. I'm more about relationships that develop over time much like a romantic relationship.

    Peaberry

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by PinkRose View Post
    Even though a person is passionate about his (or her) product, he or she needs to have a certain special type of personality to be able to go into sales. Having to hear the words "no thank you" many times a day would make anyone's enthusiasm fizzle out over time. I think that is one of the biggest roadblocks to taking on the job as a sales rep. Getting out of their comfort zone an diving into the world of sales, is a giant frightening step for many people - and so they don't do it.

    I really appreciate that perspective Rose thank you! We'll be addressing that in the workshop for sure! - Lee

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Peaberry View Post
    Rose is right. There are so many reasons why enthusiasm for coffee, alone, just does not translate into success in sales. It is far easier for someone with sales experience to acquire a passion for coffee, than for an experienced roaster or barista to acquire the skills needed to be successful in sales. Having been in sales most of my adult life, what I can say is that one must appreciate the relationships that develop over time, and respect that a potential customer will NEVER consider dumping a 30 year relationship for some unknown startup wanting to "get their foot in the door". Learning to recognize when "no" really means "NO" will save the ambitious new wholesale rep from a lot of grief and and anxiety, and allow then to spend time on potential customers where "no" really means "maybe" or "convince me". After all sales is a numbers game, or so they tell me. I'm more about relationships that develop over time much like a romantic relationship.

    Peaberry

    I couldn't agree more Peaberry. A career in sales in wholesale roasted coffee can only be enhanced by a relationship based approach. It's at the core of what James and I will be focusing on during our workshop this Sunday. Thanks for you comments.

 

 

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. What roasting workshop/class do you recommend?
    By nevadanew in forum Coffee Roasters
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-09-2016, 05:48 AM
  2. NEW! 2-Day Technical Maintenance and Repair Workshop.
    By jpscoffee in forum Business to Business B2B
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 02:27 PM
  3. Cost of Sales, Sales per Hour, and Average Ticket
    By chadao in forum Coffee Shops, Espresso Bars & Cafes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-15-2012, 09:59 PM
  4. Seeking motivated wholesale coffee sales professional
    By telluridecoffee in forum Business to Business B2B
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 04:06 PM
  5. Should I go to the SCAA Cafe Start-up workshop?
    By Ellie in forum Coffee Industry Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2005, 05:52 AM