Non Franchise Thought

celement

Apr 17, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
Our image is that of a franchise, but we're not. We wanted a professional image and I think we did well with our inexpensive art work, menu development, and so forth. I get an email at least two or three times a month from customers on our site asking if they can buy a franchise of our business - I don't want to franchise it because I know what that entails and I'm not interested in supporting a franchise network.

So my question is this; can I package my name, menu, some training, site assistance, and a "license to use" this material to someone and sell it too them? I would not charge any royalties though I could supply them product and offer a marketing cooperative as an option?

I see lots of threads around here about people wanting to start up...this would seem to be an easy way to offer that as a service to those people?

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
So my question is this; can I package my name, menu, some training, site assistance, and a "license to use" this material to someone and sell it too them? I would not charge any royalties though I could supply them product and offer a marketing cooperative as an option?

It is extremely difficult to license your business without infringing upon franchise laws; those individuals that I have found licensing their concept in this industry are often not aware that they are in violation of FTC rules. It is only a matter of time until they are shut down.

You should contact your attorney to discuss options.

Good luck,

Andrew

Coffee Guy

Oct 19, 2003
Seattle,Washington USA
Visit site
I agree C.M., there is a fine line as to what is considered a franchise and what isn't. We've looked at a number of different marketing opportunities, and no matter what you come up with, you just have to be very careful.

celement

Apr 17, 2005
Modesto, CA
Visit site
Thank You

Thanks for the heads up....I know that there are many offerings from people with more time in the business then I out there. Franchising is not for me.

Perhaps it would be just best to sell the package to people willing to buy it...name - menu - supply sources - initial training and be done with it...no residual income but you could compensate that up front if they are willing to pay for it.

Thanks