Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Don't get mad at me, but you guys sound a little bit like kids saying "My Dad is better than your Dad"!

Don't worry Topher I roast with a Diedrich IR-3 and I LOVE roasting coffee! The smells and the first crack, and just waiting to hear the second crack start taking off then dumping the beans into the cooling bin, watching the smoke get sucked back into the roaster and down through the cooling bin as the beans are coming out, it just doesn't get any better! Knowing that my knowledge of the bean came up with the roasting profile I have in my head and in my notes. It is what I love to do!

Freshroast, I think you need to agree with us that a human being has to come up with the profile in the first place.

Ten years ago there wasn't any forums like this either. I believe that we all will have a place in the coffee world. Personaly I think it will be WAY too expensive if they truly have 12 million invested already! Nobody will be able to afford it!
    Enjoy Your Coffee!
    Pete

jax

New idea!!

I had a thought!

How about using the technology to come up with a way to roast completly clean. No chaff, no oils collecting in the roaster. If I never had to clean my roaster again and could commit all my time to developing coffee, that would be a wonderful applacation of technology to the roasting industry. What do you think?

Yes. Someone must come up with the initial profile. Once that's done the big job is done. THe computer and laser can replicate it far better than any human. And BTW, Jax, our machine is clean. Empty the chaff drawer every couple of days. THe oils and smoke are eliminated in the catalysis.

Good old fashioned roasting...Seen it, done it, know it, love it. Without a doubt works and everyone knows it.

Fresh Roaster-Your web site says what you have said in your posts-at least your consistent there. But there is no independent way to prove or disprove what you are saying. No independent testimonial or study. Nor did anyone ask. Your selling. I do not read here to be sold.

to quote the first response "Read the rules....no spam please."

Re: New idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by jax
    If I never had to clean my roaster again and could commit all my time to developing coffee
    That is when you get one of those slaves, I mean bright eyes and bushy tail apprentices.
    You want cream and sugar?
    NO COFFEE FOR YOU! NEXT!

Quote Originally Posted by harpua
    Good old fashioned roasting...Seen it, done it, know it, love it. Without a doubt works and everyone knows it.

Fresh Roaster-Your web site says what you have said in your posts-at least your consistent there. But there is no independent way to prove or disprove what you are saying. No independent testimonial or study. Nor did anyone ask. Your selling. I do not read here to be sold.

to quote the first response "Read the rules....no spam please."
    Ok. Let's just keep the focus and discussion on technology then.

i know this beast....

i live in marin which is just north of san francisco - about 5-6 years ago i took a drive to see this this machine in action (don't remember how i had heard about it) and met the developers. spoke with one at length (great guy) and he took me through the full operation and explained how usage data was downloaded to the companies computer for billing.

the guys worked out of a small office in the industrial park section of rohnert park or santa rosa which is about 40 minutes north of sf - there was little else in the small office other than the lone demo machine. at the time they were still working out some wrinkles and orders for the machine weren't exactly piling up - as a matter of fact, i don't think they had sold one. i got the distinct feeling that the guys were running out time, capital or both...

what struck me most about the visit was the not the new technology or what this machine could or could not do - what struck me was the stark, unnerving reality of trying to get such an expensive product to market.

so are you one of the fellows that i met? or did you purchase the company from them? i noticed that your site doesn't include any testimonials ("under construction") - how many of these units do you have in the field and who are your clients?

fwiw, i found the machine interesting; especially the fact that you can hold quite a few different varietals in the bins which can be automatically mixed for roasting (if i remember correctly). however, imo, these machines are better suited to grocery store and quick-mart operations, not retail coffe shops that roast their own beans on the premises in view of their customers.

probats, dietrichs and other such classic machines are synonymous with small coffee roasteries, they're entrenched - further, their retro appearance and manual operation is what customers want to see; there is something very organic about these machines which compliments the rich history of coffee perfectly and this is not lost on patrons...

Check your PMs

About Fresh Roast

I've read all of the posts and really think all of the pro roasters here should try the coffee from the Fresh Roast System. Being that it is sold mostly in California grocery stores it might be difficult to taste. But, there is a guy in Texas who uses this system and roasts some awesome coffee. I'm not trying to sell anybody on anything but the website is www.texasroast.com.

Once you taste coffee roasted from this system you will never go back to drinking Starbucks or other coffee since the coffee is so good. The owner of Texas Roast knows about the right kind of blends to use to make the coffee perform the way you want it to. The machine does the rest. Why not use a state of the art roaster to make it simpler for consumers to enjoy good coffee instead of being given expensive options?

The wine industry converted to this long ago where they had to find a more efficient way of producing high quality wines to meet industry demand. The result is more quality wine being sold to more people at moderate prices. I know this forum is here for the "coffee artists" but we can't ignore consumer demand once there is a better way of making a product on the market.

Super Moderator
    so who do you work for? Texas roast or fresh roast?
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links