PR: Coffee Klatch offers free coffee for Starbucks closure

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
San Dimas, California (Market Wire) February 19, 2008 – Coffee Klatch Roasting’s two retail coffee shops in San Dimas and Rancho Cucamonga will offer free coffee to customers on Tuesday, February 26th from 5:30 PM until 8:30 PM PST in celebration of Starbucks’ planned 3-hour closure for espresso training.

Described by Starbucks CEO Howard Schultz in a press statement as a “bold demonstration of our commitment,” the company announced earlier this month that it would close 7,100 company-operated Starbucks stores in the United States for 3 hours to retrain more than 135,000 employees.

Coffee Klatch, home of reigning United States Barista Champion Heather Perry, has no need for similar employee remediation and consequently invites the public to visit for an opportunity to taste expertly crafted espresso beverages and exclusive coffees from exotic locales -for free- at its two Southern California locations during the closure.

“I’m not sure why it’s going to take them 3 hours to learn how to press a button,” says Coffee Klatch Roasting owner Mike Perry, referring to the automated espresso machines that are used by Starbucks employees to prepare beverages. “While they practice pushing buttons, their customers can come to Coffee Klatch and learn how coffee is really supposed to taste.”

Coffee Klatch Roasting locations:

San Dimas: (909) 599-0452 806 W. Arrow Hwy Ste A, San Dimas 57 Freeway and Arrow Hwy in the Target Shopping Center

Rancho Cucamonga: (909) 944-JAVA 8916 Foothill Blvd Ste C, Rancho Cucamonga Corner of Foothill and Vineyard in the Thomas Winery Building

About Coffee Klatch Roasting

Founded in 1993, Coffee Klatch Roasting operates two coffee shops in Southern California (San Dimas & Rancho Cucamonga) and supplies wholesale customers from a dedicated specialty coffee roasting facility. In addition to publicity gained from the accomplishments of two-time U.S. Barista Champion Heather Perry, Coffee Klatch Roasting has been recognized as serving the “Best Espresso in America” by the Los Angeles Times and the “Best Espresso in the World” by an esteemed panel of judges at the 2007 World Barista Championship in Tokyo, Japan. For more information, visit the Coffee Klatch website at www.klatchroasting.com.

cafemakers

Nov 3, 2004
Visit site
Not a hoax, it's real. As Mike said in the release, I'm not really sure what they plan to improve in only 3 hours (with processes fixed in place by automation), but I think that recent consistency problems have mandated some kind of public demonstration like this. In my opinion the 3-hour closing is a kind of demarcation signifying that the business moving forward will be different, better than before.

...but, it also very publicly admits weakness, that can and should be used to your advantage. They'd do the same to you.

AJPRATT

Mar 7, 2007
Atlantic City, NJ
Visit site
Yes, you are right. I have met some really nice sbux people and some really NOT nice. We'll have to come up with some thing. I'd love to hang a sign out front of their property, of hire one of those billboard guys to stand around. Hmmm...