RatuKopiLuwak

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Last edited:

RatuKopiLuwak

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
First of all there's no joke.

"Organic foods are foods that are produced using methods that do not involve modern synthetic inputs such as synthetic pesticides and chemical fertilizers, do not contain genetically modified organisms, and are not processed using irradiation, industrial solvents, or chemical food additives." - SO YES, IT IS CERTAINLY ORGANIC AS DESCRIBED.

The term "Fair Trade" is not even mentioned in the listing. The coffee however is sourced from an ORGANIC (oh, there's that word again) Indonesian farm, so purchasing does indeed support the farmers.

Cruelty to animals? Now you're entering the arena of moral debate on the subject of cat coffee which I don't entertain because I deem it (like individuals such as yourself) to be a waste of my time. I will state that the animals are very well looked after and fed a varied diet. The term cruel simply and certainly doesn't apply since the animals behind Ratu come to no harm.

Cruelty to coffee drinkers? How droll. Don't like it, don't drink it now take your arrogance and ignorance back to your coffee grinder.

(Halal - actually it is, well done - something you got right.)

Last edited:

DirtyDave

Anyone who purchases this product gets exactly what they deserve.
Anyone who produces or sells this product should be kept in a cage and fed unripe coffee berries.
How can modern, educated people fall for such CRAP?

Corvuscoffee

Dec 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Visit site
I am wondering if the coffee is fed to the cats or if this is actually traditionally processed coffee? The original idea of this type of processing method is that the animals are better at sorting coffee than people and that if you find the coffee they are eating you will be getting a very high quality selection of beans. It seems to me that if you are feeding the animals coffee while they are caged (not saying anyone is) that you defeat this purpose? Am incorrect on this or is there something I'm missing? Sorry got kind of off track there. I was just wondering how this process improves the quality of coffee you are selling. I've been curious to find a brand of Kopi Luwak which is sticking to the traditional methods..Best! Phil

RatuKopiLuwak

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Great questions Phil. The process behind Ratu involves the civets being kept in free range living conditions so they're not held like battery hens. The are fed a varied diet to keep them healthy and not expected to dine on coffee cherries alone.
The Arabica cherries are grown and collected by the farmer then given to the animal however they will not eat rotten or unripe cherries and are said to only eat the ripest, sweetest fruit.
The coffee beans pass through the animal, then they're collected and washed by the farmer before the hard skin of the beans are stripped by hand. Next the beans are roasted using earthenware which results in a unique flavour.
If you are interested I can send you a sample.

This is a good point, and one RatuKopiLuwak obviously has tried to answer. As far as I am aware I dont know Ratu (or maybe I do-only she/he could tell me that!) so I can not comment on that companies method of sourcing / processing the coffee

Up until about 10 years ago, most Kopi Luwak was picked up in dropping form around the big government estates (mostly found in West, Central and East Java). The droppings are generally large, starshapped-with the appearance (but not taste) of peanut brittle! Things changed however. With the price of luwak driven up by demand mainly from the USA, someone decided to try and breed and keep civets in captivity- to try and produce kopi luwak in a factory kind of environment. As far as I am aware, most of these efforts have failed. The Civets (luwak) do not respond well to being kept in captivity, even if they have been raised from birth they are pretty wild creatures. Having been involved in a couple of documentaries on Luwak I must say some of those I saw kept in captivity did not look in great shape- stressed would be the word. Also cupping wild luwak vs captive luwak I can pick a difference in the cup for sure. The natural luwak having decidedly less acidity than that coming from captive luwaks. The famous Civet-ologist- Prof Massimo from University of Guelph in Canada has done some more specific research on this I think. From memory his test ("is it luwak or is it fake") shows far, far less pitting on coffee from captive luwaks than from those eating arabica/robusta on the wild. The pitting in someway may correspond to the length of time the coffee remains in the animals GI tracting- stressed animals will pass the coffee out faster than those that are eating cherries off the tree in the wild. The pitting is the effect of various acids on the coffee as it passes through the civet. It can only be picked up on unroasted green coffee using infrared microscopes....

Personally, I have tried luwak on many occasions from the farmers that I work with all over Indonesia. I amnever overly impressed. We carry about 20-30kg at all times, more because being an Indonesian coffee roaster I often get requests to try Kopi Luwak. Again (personal opinion) I cant say that I would pay the $ for luwak if I didnt have a plentiful supply of my own. I drink it rarely myself- I much prefer, and get my kicks, out of cupping the 100's of samples I get from coops, smallholders all over Indonesia and also Thailand and Malaysia.

In saying that, obviously the mystic of Luwak is a huge attraction to coffee drinkers world wide. A couple of years back I was exhibiting at teh Trieste Espresso Expo with a couple of guys from a Bandung (West Java Capital city) coffee company. We were doing our normal espresso blend and had a good deal of interest- however they were overwhelmed with interest and people, mainly Italian and European Coffee proffessionals, wanting to try their coffee.

Being coffee proffessionals we all have ethical standards that we have an obligation to uphold- whether that be people like myself as a roaster making sure we source coffee in a transparent way....or the cafe owners-chosing coffee based on traceability and/or the social impact buying a particular coffee may have on a small village growing community somewhere in the coffee world... or the customer, who ultimatley should be the one making sure they vote with their $ to ensure we all work together to make the coffee community a ethical place for all.

Rambling a bit- all I would say is companies that do the right thing in this more competitive and more consumer savy era are the ones that survive and prosper. I see many of those posting and contributing to coffeeforum.com and other coffee-centric forums and websites. Those that dont, are flash in the pan.

Great questions Phil. The process behind Ratu involves the civets being kept in free range living conditions so they're not held like battery hens. The are fed a varied diet to keep them healthy and not expected to dine on coffee cherries alone.
The Arabica cherries are grown and collected by the farmer then given to the animal however they will not eat rotten or unripe cherries and are said to only eat the ripest, sweetest fruit.
The coffee beans pass through the animal, then they're collected and washed by the farmer before the hard skin of the beans are stripped by hand. Next the beans are roasted using earthenware which results in a unique flavour.
If you are interested I can send you a sample.

Last edited:
Thanks. I found the post by Alun_evans "very" interesting. I have never tried Kopi Luwak but now think I need to. :)
I would say if you have never tried it, try it for novelties sake. Just try to make sure it is wild luwak, also pray that the civet has been eating fruit and not small rodents before the coffee you drink was ingested! I have had some fairly gamey luwak in the past:)

RatuKopiLuwak

Nov 28, 2011
Visit site
Very informative, thank you Alun. I would say certainly try it for novelties sake too because it is certainly is too costly for everyday consumption (generally speaking).

"Just try to make sure it is wild luwak, also pray that the civet has been eating fruit and not small rodents before the coffee you drink was ingested! I have had some fairly gamey luwak in the past" - That's an excellent reason not to try wild Luwak, instead use farmed luwak like Ratu where the civets are fed a regularly healthy, fruit filled diet. Thanks Alun.

Also Alun, I challenge you to try Ratu before lumping all luwak coffee into your general understanding. I very much doubt even the most refined and sophisticated palette would find any difference between wild or Ratu luwak unless of course the wild civets had been chewing on something "gamey"..
After you've sampled it you could present an unbiased, untainted opinion on these boards.
Samples are charged at 5GBP for 10g and 1.50GBP for international postage.
I'll take your payment via PayPal.

Thank you.

Latest posts