Looking for Geisha Beans seeds

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Okay, Gigi.
this is third time you are posting the same thing.

I already gave you some places in Costa Rica to contact about Geisha seeds, but if you are looking for some forum members who can actually give you the EXACT INFORMATION WHERE TO BUY them, probably you will never get any answers.

Just curious,... where is your coffee farm?

I can see that you are located in Maryland. but if your farm is in Maryland in West Virgina? I doubt it will work. But probably you have a farm in some other country?

By the way, what is "geisha-Sumatra" seeds? do you want Geisha and Sumatra? or hybrid of Geisha/Sumatra? if the latter one, I have never heard of those kind.

Last edited:

Gigi

Mar 23, 2015
Maryland
Visit site
I couldn't see my post, sorry about that anyway what I'm looking for is seeds of geisha and Sumatra thank you for the information Ensoluna.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I couldn't see my post, sorry about that anyway what I'm looking for is seeds of geisha and Sumatra thank you for the information Ensoluna.

No problem.
actually, I am also asking them where to get the Geisha seeds. JUST OUT OF CURIOSITY.
Since we have our own website and own coffee farms in Guatemala, i think that they might feel more inclined to help us by providing the info.
anyway, when I get some solid info from them, I will send you private message with the exact info that you are looking for.
thanks and good luck.
alex from Ensoluna

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
BTW, I just would like to advise you that Growing Geisha coffee trees are extremely difficult for many reasons.
So, you have to think very carefully before you actually buy and plant Geisha seeds.
here are difficulties.

1. the production/yield is 1/3 of normal coffee tree.
2. you need to fertilize them three times more than normal coffee tree.
3. very susceptible to coffee diseases, so a lot of chemical treatment over the year (that is why you will never find "organic" Geisha. if you can find them somewhere,... they are lying..)
4. it will cost you double or triple the times and extra man power to process this Geisha coffee (Beneficio Humedo. Wet process or Dry process at your farm)
5. you need to have top of the line Wet/Dry process facilities.
6. it will cost you 30% more in Beneficio Seco processing.

There are some farms who specialize in this and make very good money from selling Geisha. (like Esmeralda in Panama, Ninetyplus coffee in Panama and some in El Salvador)

however, most of normal farms grow Geisha only to advertise their farm name, sending out for CoE, SCAA cupping events...etc
Honestly to say, very difficult to make money off it.

Last edited:

Gigi

Mar 23, 2015
Maryland
Visit site
I know I'm aware of all that one I want to try with a little bit, I have 1800 ASL and I am thinking if I plant about 2000 it won't be hard to keep up with, I have been emailing people in Colombia Panama Costa Rica and so far none of them have responded back to me with information about that geisha seeds.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Considering where you are at and the varietals that you are producing, Geisha will be very tough for you or your workers to manage....
if you really want Geisha for your farm, probably, you might need to hire someone who knows how to grow Geisha.

if Catimor & Catuai (two of the easiest and coffee disease resilient varietals) are your main crop, Geisha (probably the most difficult varietal to grow) can be a really challenge for you.

Catimor & Catuai is like Toyota, Corolla. no maintenance, easy to fix, ...etc
Geisha is like .... lamborghnini or Maserati ... very tough & expensive to maintain.
and certainly, you need someone who knows about Geisha at your farm.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
There are few things that you need to know about Geisha before you buy and plant.

* their leaves are very thin and weak that means "photosynthesis" is much less efficient than other coffee plants. Also, their root system is very poor which also means that it's intake of water and energy is much less than others. So at the end, the production is about half of normal other varietals.

* Geisha need high altitude above 5000 to 6000 feet. (if your farm is much lower, better to forget about it)

* the Geisha cherries must be picked in the perfect moment of maturity AND you need to start the process immediately. Process being natural, honey or washed.

Footnote : Esmeralda farm in Panama sold 100 lbs of 2013 SCAP (Best of Panama Auction) at $35,000.00
Meaning of "photosynthesis" : the process by which green plants use sunlight to synthesize foods from carbon dioxide and water. (well... I had to look it up :+)

wscafe

I do agree with Ensoluna. Original arabica coffee varieties are typically very difficult to take care. For example, some local farms in Cau Dat village, Da Lat city, Vietnam (also known as Cau Dat specialty coffee), grow original arabica (Typica, Caturra, Bourbon and Mocha), but the volume is very limited. Disease is also another problem.