Little Help!: Looking for a 500g or 1kg roaster.

dd66

Sep 20, 2019
Orlando, FL
Visit site
All, I’m a home roaster looking to step up to a 500g or 1kg roaster. I would appreciate any leads and/or recommendations. New or used, located in Florida.
Thank you!

dchooo

May 17, 2019
Visit site
Depends what you're looking for.

If you wanna still fit into the 110v outlet and have good control over beans, try the Bullet R1
https://www.sweetmarias.com/aillio-bullet-r1-roaster.html

Currently OOS (out of stock). Theyre usually new like ~2800.

Try the huky 500, theyre pretty affordable and you don't need 220v or anything like that.

Personally, if you really want to get into coffee, I would get a more commercial type roaster that will accept 220v. You can truly up your roasting capabilites. If you have a decent foundation in roasting, those commercial machines really make the whole coffee roasting process way more precise and alot easier. (oh and fun too) I feel that anything bigger than 1kg really makes the coffee roasting process more enjoyable because smaller batches are very sensitive to changes. In roasting, you generally shouldnt be making sudden changes I BELIEVE. Unless your temps are not within in roasting profile.

ANYWAYS, you do you.

Don

dd66

Sep 20, 2019
Orlando, FL
Visit site
Hello Don, I've looked at the Bullet R1 and the Huky 500 but I was looking for something closer to a commercial type roaster like the MCR 1kg. Since I'm roasting for myself and my family I'm not looking to jump to anything bigger than a 1kg so it sounds like I'll have to deal with more variability. I was looking to get around the 220v by using a step-up transfer and my gas would be propane (no natural gas at my house).

I'll do my best to be me, just need to define who I am first!

Thanks.

dd

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
Most likely, if you're using gas (natural or LP) you won't need 220v... that would only be if the heating came from electricity.

I use an Ambex 2K. Once you know the roaster, smaller batches of 1lb to 1K are easy enough. Maybe you can find something like that, used. I bought mine used 10 years ago, roast ~100#/mo. and it has never needed repairs, only normal PM.

You might also consider Mill City Roasters. The have a very capable 1K roaster.

dd66

Sep 20, 2019
Orlando, FL
Visit site
Yes, I have been looking at the the Mill City Roaster 1kg model, would like to pick up a used one if I could. Sounds like your Ambex 2K has served you well! Getting repair/maintenance history is a big help too. With my limited knowledge, I've never heard of Ambex. I checked them out and it looks like the 2k is their smallest model. It's worth a call though, they're located in Clearwater, FL maybe I'll visit them.

Thank you for your recommendations!

dd

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
dd66 - do you have a good outdoor space or well vented indoor space? Something to consider is the venting for smoke... if you get into a 1K you will need to have some type of ventilation. And what is your experience level - have you roasted before?

dd66

Sep 20, 2019
Orlando, FL
Visit site
That's a very good point!
I've been roasting on my Gene Cafe for about 3 years now and yes I roast outside. I've made that mistake (roasting inside) before back in my roasting with a modified popcorn popper days. When I do upgrade, I'm prepared to provide the required ventilation for the new system.

thanks,

dd

Musicphan

May 11, 2014
Kansas City
Visit site
Well - your choices are pretty limited ... there is not a lot between the 'home/prosumer' mark like the Hucky / Quest M3's / Hottop. Your next step up is finding a used Mill City or Ambex... although I have heard that Ambex support is not great (if you expect much when buying a used machine). The only other option that I'm aware of in the US (are you US based?) is Buckeye Roasters.

dchooo

May 17, 2019
Visit site
I have seen turkish Toper roasters go for like 2-3k used for a 1kg. I think anything >$4k you will be able to find something pretty decent. Be wary of older MCR machines. The company was doing some "experimenting" and certain components tend to not work so well or dont work at all. What I mean is that their newer roasters are better made.

Other than that, I would searchtempest and find "coffee roasters" in the whole US. It will give you a better picture of how much they can go for and some individuals are willing to ship. Obviously fright would be cheapest.

Just found this posted today.

https://austin.craigslist.org/hvo/d/buda-2kg-coffee-roaster-like-new/6983666483.html

Last edited:

dd66

Sep 20, 2019
Orlando, FL
Visit site
Good to know about the older MCR's, thanks!
I'll keep the search going, I'm in no rush for now. Definitely getting some good insight from this post.

Keep'em coming!

dd

dd66

Sep 20, 2019
Orlando, FL
Visit site
Thanks for the links dchooo.
Yeah I think shipping will be a problem. I did check out a new one and the price was good but I'm familiar with this manufacture, any thoughts?
dd