Coffee and Blood Pressure:

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Even though coffee relaxes me, I guess we also need to take into consideration it raises blood pressure as well..

Now, it probably won't make a huge difference unless you are drinking an exaggerated amount, but something to keep in mind.

Caffeine: How does it affect blood pressure? - MayoClinic.com

Always a good thing to keep in mind.. Like all things we need to look for warning signs, and it's always a good idea if you have a headache in the morning to maybe avoid that cup of coffee, unless of course it is coffee withdrawal causing the headache.. But that's another story entirely :)

Last edited:

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that is true indeed.
I mean, I have personal experience of this. My auntie had the problem of high blood pressure and when she went to the doctor, he asked him whether she smokes or not and the second question was that whether she drinks coffee or not and in what amount?
My auntie used to take 7-8 mugs of coffee, I mean big mugs of coffee, each day and the doctor strictly advised her to restrict herself to just a couple of mugs each day because of the high blood pressure.
So we all better take care of this fact and restrict ourselves to 2 or 3 mugs of coffee per day if we have high blood pressure.
:star:

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Yes, that is true indeed.
I mean, I have personal experience of this. My auntie had the problem of high blood pressure and when she went to the doctor, he asked him whether she smokes or not and the second question was that whether she drinks coffee or not and in what amount?
My auntie used to take 7-8 mugs of coffee, I mean big mugs of coffee, each day and the doctor strictly advised her to restrict herself to just a couple of mugs each day because of the high blood pressure.
So we all better take care of this fact and restrict ourselves to 2 or 3 mugs of coffee per day if we have high blood pressure.
:star:

There are lots of other factors besides caffeine of course, however, it is the first thing that doctors tend to take away from us.. Our morning coffee :( However, I think sometimes its exaggerated. For example, high blood pressure they should tell you to cut out the salt first.. We get waaay more salt in our everyday diet than coffee/caffeine.. But they blame the coffee :(

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
The coffee ritual relaxes me, missing my morning ritual might increase my BP although physiologically I know that coffee is supposed to increase BP, at least marginally. Of course more and more research these days touts coffee's health benefits so I wouldn't want to quit drinking coffee to avoid the bump in BP and miss out on all the other positives. Moderation, as it is in most everything, is the key.

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I always found it interesting that how we feel isn't necessarily related to blood pressure... I have had instances where I was stressed to the point where I thought I would explode, and when they took my blood pressure it was perfectly fine :)

The human body certainly is an interesting thing....

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I made a deal with my doctor. He quits complaining about my Caffeine(coffee) intake and I keep providing him with venison jerky. Haven't heard one peep in over a year.

LOL... That would be the first time I have ever heard "a stick of jerky a day, keeps the doctor at bay" :D

Of course he isn't going to ride you about caffeine, knowing full well that you could then turn around and say the same thing about the venison jerky... LOL... While Venison jerky is one of the healthiest out there, still not what you would call "health food". Well played ;)

*sigh... Reminds me... Jerky (of any kind) is in short supply around here...

adleycain

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
This is something didn't knew it is a complete awareness.I appreciate you for sharing it here.I already take it in a specific amount but now ill be more thankful.All thanx to you dude

Last edited:

DigitalWorldAMTF

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Even though caffeine has been thought to increase the risk of high blood pressure, but it is quite surprising that the result of a long term study proved to be the other way around. People who drank the most coffee seemed to even develop some protection from high blood pressure. However for people who drank large amount of caffeine-containing colas, the risk of high blood pressure is increased.

Last edited:

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
DigitalWorld, can you give a link or reference to the study you mentioned about the long term study. I'd like to read it. Might might a good article for my blog.

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
coffee relaxes me as well. but should i drink more than 3-4cups, i usually feel my heart beat raising. so i just take about a cup or two of my favorite cup in a day so that it would not happen.

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

ShibbleHash

Apr 18, 2013
Cincinnati
Visit site
While I have started moderating my intake more since leaving my barista gig behind, I have heard lots of things about the health of coffee on the heart when enjoyed regularly, as many as 5 or 6 cups a day.

I just can't give it up completely at this point. At least 2 cups a day for me.

DigitalWorldAMTF

May 17, 2013
Visit site
Coffee gets cleared of blood pressure risk

DigitalWorld, can you give a link or reference to the study you mentioned about the long term study. I'd like to read it. Might might a good article for my blog.

Hi, since I didn't save the link so I tried to searched for it again. Even though the article
I found this time seems to be the same from last time, but it seems to be from a different
website. Please take a look for your reference.

Coffee gets cleared of blood pressure risk | Harvard Gazette

donaldrhughes

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
I have heard this too. It is really good to finally hear it. I hope that this information will become more widely accepted by the medical community soon.