Coffee for Cough

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Did anybody here ever try coffee for the treatment of cough? Did you ever hear experience of any such individual who used coffee for treating coffee and whether or not he got the desired results (I mean, was he/she able to check the cough using coffee)? I am asking this because one of my friends told me that if you want to treat cough without making use of medicines, then coffee is the best choice. I will have to wait to verify this until I get cough, lol....so I thought it would be great if I ask this question here on this forum. :star:

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Coffee for cough... Hmmm... interesting concept.. I would think you would need to put honey or something else into the coffee. Hmmm... Give me a moment here...

According to Quora:

"No, coffee is not bad for a cough. My doctor once told me that it's actually therapeutic to drink coffee when you have bronchial and/or respritory infections. I think that the caffeine helps to open up your bronchial tubes somehow. Plus the heat of the coffee is soothing for your throat. Have you ever heard that asthmatics should drink black coffee if they don't have access to an inhaler when they have an attack? I think it's the same principle. "

But at the same time...

"Coffee probably isn't going to have a strong effect (acid/alkaline folks might consider it harmful but on the other hand coffee is relatively high in anti-oxidants). However, consuming dairy with your coffee (as many do) could have a negative effect. Dairy is considered by many people to be mucous-forming and therefore should be minimized/avoided when you are suffering from congestion."

Is coffee bad for a cough? - Quora

Anyway, lots of articles on it out there to be sure :)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
About five years ago, I worked in a cafe where the manager was constanly having asthma related coughing episodes. In between gasps for breath, she would point to the coffee pot and want me to get her some hot coffee. I was surprised how fast the hot coffee worked to stop her coughing. It provided a quick relief for the cough, and within a minute or so she was fine again.

Rose

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
About five years ago, I worked in a cafe where the manager was constanly having asthma related coughing episodes. In between gasps for breath, she would point to the coffee pot and want me to get her some hot coffee. I was surprised how fast the hot coffee worked to stop her coughing. It provided a quick relief for the cough, and within a minute or so she was fine again.

Rose

Hmmm.. Just straight black coffee? I have been doing some reading and it could be caffeine I suppose. It would be interesting to know if it was just black, if it had cream/sugar or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
At first I was going to get her some water, but she wanted a little bit of straight black coffee. She took a few sips and it stopped the coughing. Believe me, she was coughing so hard that she couldn't stop, and the coffee worked to stop the cough. She said it was the caffeine that helped to quickly open her airways.

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
At first I was going to get her some water, but she wanted a little bit of straight black coffee. She took a few sips and it stopped the coughing. Believe me, she was coughing so hard that she couldn't stop, and the coffee worked to stop the cough. She said it was the caffeine that helped to quickly open her airways.

Hmmm.... Interesting... Let me try the new search that way....

Well, according to this article:

The effect of caffeine in people with asthma - PubMed Health

Good old caffeine (found in our friend coffee) does seem to help.. Only just scratched the surface, so more research needed.. But.. This does explain why coffee and cigarettes would go hand in hand after a smoke break for some people... Wonder if they made the connection, or it was just the natural thing for them to do....

JLew

Nov 7, 2012
Oregon
Visit site
My children have terrible Asthma. I've been told many times that hot water will help with the asthma ans cold will make it worse. also years ago in lifeguard training we were taught about jolt cola helping in an emergency asthma situation because of the caffeine. So perhaps the combo of hot and caffeine would really help someone!

dstrand

Apr 25, 2012
SF Bay Area
Visit site
Both my daughter and I have asthma. Her pediatrician told us years ago that coffee can relieve the symptoms. I haven't noticed a difference, to be honest, and and don't think she has either (she's now 19, and drinks coffee daily).

On the other hand, my grandfather suffered with severe emphysema for years and the only time I saw him get any relief was when my dad would make him a vodka gimlet. He called it liquid oxygen. I told this story to my doctor, and she was dubious. But it seemed to help him.

Of course, I'm not making any recommendations here. Your results may vary.:p

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I wonder if coffee is good to help someone who has a cough from having a cold or sore throat.

I guess any warm beverage would help relieve the tickle in the throat that triggers the coughing. People drink tea, but I wonder if coffee would help too.

adleycain

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I have never tried it but i guess that can work,I usually take honey in warm water for the cure of cough and that works for me.Taking coffee can help but i can't really say much about the progress it makes.

Last edited: