Reason to cut caffeine

TheCoffeeLocator

Aug 6, 2012
Milano, Italy
Visit site
I drink way too much coffee (Italian mocha machine) and have been looking for a proven health reason to cut back. If I find a reason I will have no problem cutting back. If I dont find a reason, I will not cut back - I like to too much.
The only definite reason I have found to cut back is that it causes bad breath - which I hope i don't have-. People talk about heart risks, but the doc says my heart is very good. Does anyone know a real long term side-effect of too much coffee/caffeine?

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "TheCoffeeLocator"

It seems like you're looking for a reason to cut back on your caffeine.

If your doctor hasn't told you to cut back, and if you're heart is okay and you're not jittery, you're probably okay.

And if you're not dehydrated, and if you're not having urinary track problems, blood glucose problems, or heart issues, etc., you're probably okay.

When the time comes for you to want (or need) to cut back on your caffeine intake, you'll know it.

Rose

TheCoffeeLocator

Aug 6, 2012
Milano, Italy
Visit site
I have been jittery in the past.
Yes I would just like to cut down - I have about 6 mochas (each mocha 3 espresso size cups) a day. All my friends are horrified!
If I can find a good reason to, I have no problem doing it... but I have not found one!

aroaster83

Dec 30, 2012
Portland, OR
Visit site
Plenty of reasons actually. First of all, have you ever had too much? It's like a sugar high and when you crash, you feel terrible.

1) Jitters. Your nervous system gets too much caffeine at once and causes anxiety and an inability to focus (your thoughts and attention dance around constantly).
2) It's a chemical stimulant, albeit a natural one, that affects people in different ways. Some people simply can not handle the effects resulting in extreme versions of the above
3) Though helpful with weight loss, it increases metabolism. An over abundance can actually be bad for you during heightened periods of activity (running for example).
4) It can increase the amount of calcium being passed through the urine
5) It is acidic (pH level wise) and can possibly be harmful to liver, kidneys, etc over time

I'm no doctor, but those are some of the reasons listed. Check with a medical professional if you think caffeine is affecting you adversely. Personally, it causes my TMJ (a jaw condition) to overreact sometimes which results in increased pain and tension. I'll take that over cubicle work and the various side effects of being hunched over a desk all day though.

adleycain

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
A specific amount of caffeine is okay on daily basis but going over the top can cause side effects.
It can not really help nutritionally when it comes to muscles but has other benefits.

Last edited:

Lancelot

Apr 10, 2013
Joplin
Visit site
The halflife's twelve hours, so if you're drinking after 6pm, it's staying in your system till midnight or later, even if you don't "feel" it. So you're not getting the best sleep.

DigitalWorldAMTF

May 17, 2013
Visit site
I drink way too much coffee (Italian mocha machine) and have been looking for a proven health reason to cut back. If I find a reason I will have no problem cutting back. If I dont find a reason, I will not cut back - I like to too much.
The only definite reason I have found to cut back is that it causes bad breath - which I hope i don't have-. People talk about heart risks, but the doc says my heart is very good. Does anyone know a real long term side-effect of too much coffee/caffeine?

Hi, according to the information found on the internet, it seems that coffee when consumed in an appropriate amount, it can be beneficial to our health. According to a study, when coffee is consumed at levels of four cups (~ 600 mL) or fewer per day, it can help the heart. However when consume more than that, it can become detrimental to cause coronary artery disease. Have you tried decaffeinated coffee? If you don't mind losing some flavour, then it could be an alternative.

Last edited:

CoffeeLovers

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
There are conflicting reasons to cut caffeine. One is according to some, it is addiction! Others say that it adversely affects the memory. Some says you will have much better mood if caffeine is eliminated. And other says, caffeine affects your energy because you can’t be active without it.

All of the above reasons are just reasons without scientific basis. If we have to sum up all those negative effects of the caffeine, they can’t supersede the benefits but it can offer good benefits to your health such as lowering blood pressure. And if all the reasons of the above are true, then coffee drinkers are not increasing.

Flori

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
i think you would only see the downside of coffee if you consume too much off it and your body is reacting badly to it. so i say if your current coffee intake is not doing your heart or body no good, then cut it out. if not, then enjoy it :)

flori
blogger, coffeeloversofworld.com

shovenose

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
SIX MOCHAS? Wow. I could NOT do that! Try doing 5, then 4, that is a 33% reduction which is more of moderation than your current extreme amount! Lol I drink one Mocha a day if that! Granted I have lots of other caffeinated stuff but I know when I order that Venti Mocha I need to be careful of having other caffeine containing stuff soon after or I'll get really chatty and annoying!