Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why I think the way I do...

This is a discussion on Why I think the way I do... within the Caffeine Health forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; "I have develop an obsession a Magnificent Obsession to help others. Share yourself without expecting a reward, payment, or commendation." Introduce your self ...

Thumbs up Why I think the way I do...

"I have develop an obsession a Magnificent Obsession to help others. Share yourself without expecting a reward, payment, or commendation." Introduce your self to others at a coffee shop.

2. # ADS

Edward....
    I am just wondering about this post..... just little confused about what you are trying to say.....

Well, can't you see this is a coffee related post?

On the other hand, if he would have suggested introducing yourself to someone at a strip club, it would have been something else entirely.......

Super Moderator
    If I were sitting in a coffee shop and wanting to have some quiet alone time, I'd be really very annoyed if a stranger came up to me and introduced him or herself. I hear enough yacking from my family, friends, co-workers, and the public when I'm working, and I really wouldn't welcome having to listen to (or force myself to be polite to) yet another person.

Rose

LOL What about when your visiting a strip club, rose?

Super Moderator
    Ha! Those days have come and gone.

Coffee shops are about my speed now-a-days.

The point was I have a passion to help people w/o asking for anything in return. I believe tallking or speaking to folks has become a lost art because everyone so busy on their phones checking FB, twitter or posting in forums. I speak w a smile and if they have a frown Rose I keep it moving. I don't waste my smile(speaking) with unkind or people that want to be alone.

Super Moderator
    Hi "EdwardHoldman"

It's a admirable passion to want to help people without asking for anything in return.

I agree the art of conversation is becomming a lost art. But I think casually walking up to a stranger and introducing yourself is a bit tacky, especially now-a-days - unless you're in church, attending a convention, or participating in a business training (or some other place where you're supposed to do that).

However, as an example: If you were to open a door for someone who is wheeling in a baby carriage or help someone pick up their dropped packages out in the parking lot, and after they say "thank you", then it's probably okay to say something like, "You're welcome...by the way my name is Ed. It's nice to meet you."

If you were to ever work in a cafe or as a bartender, etc. you would quickly find out that the art of conversation becomes a bit tedious and overrated.....especially when complete strangers tend to like to talk (and talk and talk) to the person standing behind the counter.

So, now I'm curious....do you smile and say hello or good morning as you're walking by people, or do you go up to complete strangers and introduce yourself when you go to coffee shops? If so, what's been their reaction?

For the record, when people smile and say hello or good morning to me as I'm sitting by myself contemplating my day, I politely smile and say hello back. But I want them to keep on walking!

Rose

Good point and practice.

On the other hand, I have a few customers who walk into our shop with frowns on their faces and I like the challenge of turning those frowns into smiles.

Super Moderator
    If you were to open a door for someone who is wheeling in a baby carriage or help someone pick up their dropped packages out in the parking lot, and after they say "thank you", then it's probably okay to say something like, "You're welcome...by the way my name is Ed. It's nice to meet you
    That made me chuckle. If someone did that to me I would think they were a bit creepy. These days you have to be careful when people come off as a "mensch" Because 99% of the time they are out to get something...I know there is that 1 % but is it worth the risk? No offense I have loads of friends and have no trouble make them...there is a time and a place though.
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Ads