Why I think the way I do...

EdwardHoldman

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
"I have develop an obsession — a Magnificent Obsession — to help others. Share yourself without expecting a reward, payment, or commendation." Introduce your self to others at a coffee shop.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Well, can't you see this is a coffee related post?

On the other hand, if he would have suggested introducing yourself to someone at a strip club, it would have been something else entirely.......

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
If I were sitting in a coffee shop and wanting to have some quiet alone time, I'd be really very annoyed if a stranger came up to me and introduced him or herself. I hear enough yacking from my family, friends, co-workers, and the public when I'm working, and I really wouldn't welcome having to listen to (or force myself to be polite to) yet another person.

Rose

EdwardHoldman

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
The point was I have a passion to help people w/o asking for anything in return. I believe tallking or speaking to folks has become a lost art because everyone so busy on their phones checking FB, twitter or posting in forums. ;-) I speak w a smile and if they have a frown Rose I keep it moving. I don't waste my smile(speaking) with unkind or people that want to be alone.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi "EdwardHoldman"

It's a admirable passion to want to help people without asking for anything in return.

I agree the art of conversation is becomming a lost art. But I think casually walking up to a stranger and introducing yourself is a bit tacky, especially now-a-days - unless you're in church, attending a convention, or participating in a business training (or some other place where you're supposed to do that).

However, as an example: If you were to open a door for someone who is wheeling in a baby carriage or help someone pick up their dropped packages out in the parking lot, and after they say "thank you", then it's probably okay to say something like, "You're welcome...by the way my name is Ed. It's nice to meet you."

If you were to ever work in a cafe or as a bartender, etc. you would quickly find out that the art of conversation becomes a bit tedious and overrated.....especially when complete strangers tend to like to talk (and talk and talk) to the person standing behind the counter.

So, now I'm curious....do you smile and say hello or good morning as you're walking by people, or do you go up to complete strangers and introduce yourself when you go to coffee shops? If so, what's been their reaction?

For the record, when people smile and say hello or good morning to me as I'm sitting by myself contemplating my day, I politely smile and say hello back. But I want them to keep on walking!

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Good point and practice.

On the other hand, I have a few customers who walk into our shop with frowns on their faces and I like the challenge of turning those frowns into smiles.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
If you were to open a door for someone who is wheeling in a baby carriage or help someone pick up their dropped packages out in the parking lot, and after they say "thank you", then it's probably okay to say something like, "You're welcome...by the way my name is Ed. It's nice to meet you
That made me chuckle. If someone did that to me I would think they were a bit creepy. These days you have to be careful when people come off as a "mensch" Because 99% of the time they are out to get something...I know there is that 1 % but is it worth the risk? No offense I have loads of friends and have no trouble make them...there is a time and a place though.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
As he put it, its lost art because we are so damn busy everyday and can't really appreciate some kindness in our life.....

I also like Eldubs point... I see too many people with frowns on their faces.... They are never polite..... give me this, give me that, or when you say hi, they simply look at your like you are out of your mind.... Its hard to put smile on their face unless you give them something for free ..... like..... " how about chocolate chip cookie to go with your coffee?"

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
If I gave away a free cookie to everyone who had a grumpy look, we'd be out of cookies before noon every day.

I try to avoid asking people "how are you today" because it's an open invitation for a long, drawn-out response.

I've noticed that a (well meant) compliment goes a long way to brighten someone's day.

Rose

EdwardHoldman

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes I do smile and say hello or good morning as I'm walking by people. My belief is that someone may need a smile or a kind word. It may piss a few people(I use to be that person haha). Honestly i think its any funnier when they get pissed ha ha.

I work in a coffee shop (yup still here) and as Rose said it gets tiresome when you constantly have to greet people and even in a bad mood put the so called "game face" on. When I am sitting here on a day off or after my shift I do not really want to engage in conversation. It would be a little weird to have a perfect stranger come up and introduce himself/herself. Honestly the ones that do that around here are trying to hit on me usually. In today's world people are way too busy living their own life and yes conversation and courtesy are pretty much non-existent anymore, but we do have to realize that they have their own things going on and not to take it personally. Honestly there are days I don't want to be "nice" but at work I am after that it's kind of like "leave me alone" attitude sets in.

pmcardle

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
All in all.. I commend someone who is brave enough to put themselves out there and just be a nice person to people no matter what the reaction. Good for you! Sometimes all it takes is a smile.