Check This Article.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
That's a great name for the coffee!

I can't tell you how many times people have come into the cafe and asked for the strongest coffee we have. The best I can do is add a shot of espresso to their regular cup of coffee so that it tastes good enough for them to want to drink it.

If this new blend tastes good, and packs a lot of caffeine, I can understand why it would be a winner. Plus, since it has the caffeine of two cups of coffee, it shouldn't be too harmful to people who usually gulp down two cups before they run out the door anyway. They'd just need one cup and be good to go!

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Rose: I totally agree with you. And this coffee should be recognized by many of us. This article is also for our artisan roasters. If they can charge 14-16 dollars a pound and using low quality robusta beans, this will be winning recipe.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm now thinking about coming up with a similar blend using the high quality robusta we have from Mexico. I'm guessing our lightly roasted yirgacheffe should add a bit of needed acidity to the blend, but I'm not looking forward to the cupping process on this one. hehe

Thanks, CJ...

lw

michaelfba

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
I am a new member since yesterday. This morning I made my gourmet coffee from a blend of 2006 Chase and
Sanborn that came in the big vacuum sealed can and a 7 oz mylar packed package of Mountain High breakfast blend from Viet Nam which you can buy at Dollar General for a dollar. I assume both blends are mostly robusta. I prepared it by boiling three times in a saucepan middle eastern style. The Viet Nam coffe made the old expired coffe which had lost most of its flavor taste good.

v

michaelfba

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
My mistake the Chase and Sandborn though it has been in the can eight years or more has a distintive Columbian Aribica smell. Which brings me back to the Viet Nam coffee which must be all or mostly Robustus because that is what they mostly grow. It has an oler and flavor that is all its own which is very similar but not the same as Sumatran. Is is possible to grow gourmet quality Robustus beans?

t

michaelfba

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for your welcome. Yes I just opened it yesterday. I have sampled rancid coffee. This is packed in a 34.5 oz vacuum can and has no hint of rancidity. It has lost flavor and that I why I blended it with the Vietnamese coffee. I wasn t sure what the result would be but the coffee is smooth with a very pleasant flavor despite being boiled. I have opened old vacuum sealed coffee that had an unpleasant taste but it probably had an unpleasant taste when it was packed. I am not pushing Chase and Sanborn. I have gotten the same results with Maxwell House and others. Believe it or not when I take the lid off the can after it has been sitting a while out comes a not unpleasant Columbian Arabica smell. When it hasn t been sitting long I have to sniff hard to smell and a hint of age is apparent though very weak and easily covered up by blending with a good coffee. What do you think of gourmet Robustus beans? That cheap Vietnamese coffee has that oler due to where it was grown just as Sumatra does and just as tea grown in Kenya has a very strong distinctive smell and flavor which is upleasant to me at times. Most Vietnames coffee is sold to make cheap instant coffee in Mexico and other places but the most expensive coffee in the world Kopi Luwak is grown in Viet Nam and is probably from Robustus beans. I don t know much about coffee but I have a good sense of smell and think also that I have good taste buds. In the past I had blended the old coffees with a good Columbian like Seattles Best or Starbucks and blending with the Vietnamese is on par. I can t drink the old coffee of which I still have several cans by itself. Some is as old as 2002 expiration but blended it makes very good coffee. If I open some that doesn t taste good I will throw it out.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Welcome to the board... I do not know what type of coffee beans you enjoy normally. I hope it is not your normal practice to purposely find an old can of coffee to find decent flavor by blending with not so great beans....lol... But it is not true statement to say the all the Vietnam coffee is not high quality. Did you know Vietnam is the highest coffee producing country in the World? They also have tons of Arabica beans. Also Kopi Luwak come in Robusta and Arabica Beans.

I would actually get rid of those old cans of coffee and try to taste more single origin coffee from your local coffee roasters. You will find much more interesting flavor and scent from the freshly roasted single origin coffee then old and stale beans thats been sitting around in coffee coffin for years.

The blending of beans became art these days.
The most of the big company blend their beans to reduce cost but most of the artisan roasters blend to bring awesome flavor, incredible scent and other target goals.

It would be interesting to blend on your own to create something you love or you only know how to make.....

ISN"T THIS FUNNNNNNNN?????????

michaelfba

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks CoffeJunky

You are correct the Mountain High dollar bag of coffee has Arabica beans it in and has a pleasant aroma sort of like Sumatran. I tried it by itself and
it has a flavor a little like Columbian. I have tried several blends mostly Starbucks never any pure one kind of bean and I should. But the way I drink coffee with two spoons of Coffee mate and Splenda then add whole milk if it tastes good to me its good and it is so good.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Michael,
You said you have pretty good sense of smell and taste bud.
Try different coffee without any additives. No sugar, no cream no anything....
Try different type of roast. Light, medium, and dark.
Try to really feel the taste of your coffee.... try the typical cupping method and see if you can taste the different flavors... like berry, earthy, chocolate, and other favor from the different region.... When you do, you will be in different planet with your coffee..... ;)

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello again Michaelfba,

Now I'm curious . . . where do you get the old cans of coffee? Do you buy a lot of it when it's on sale and store it (and forget that you have it?).

If you open a can of old coffee and have to throw it out, you're throwing out the money that you spent on it.

I hope you'll eventually stop using the old coffee and move on to enjoying better, fresher blends.

Rose

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
btw.... I think Michael is messing with us. A guy with a great sense of taste who digs old coffee blended with robusta beans Splenda and whole milk?