French Press and Health

lorsban

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi everybody,

My mom gave me a coffee press for Christmas and I've been drinking everyday since. I really love it and I've gotten to understand how to brew a pretty great (to me) cup of joe.

However, I've been reading a lot of bad things about pressed coffee and cholesterol (raising LDL). And genetically that really isn't good for me since my family has a history of heart disease and I myself have had bad readings.

So, I'm worried.

I've grown to really love brewing this way vs the instant stuff I normally drink (which already has sugar mixed in) so I don't want to stop and I'm not interested in using a machine.

I only drink a cup a day though so I'm thinking it wouldn't be too bad. Plus, I've stopped drinking sweetened instant coffee....

Any ideas? Should I stop, drink once a week etc...?

Thanks and regards!

lorsban

janry

Dec 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
Visit site
Personally, I think the cholesterol concern is a bit overblown but I admit it was in my mind when I quit using a French Press. Or, maybe I just used it as an excuse to try something else. I tried a couple of pour over methods and liked the cleaner taste and really, not that much of a decrease in flavor in my opinion.

Last edited:

lorsban

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply!

What other methods are you using right now?

I suppose we could start using the coffee machine again and just use the press for cappuccinos - which taste fantastic with the rich flavor plus milk froth.

I just love the notion of the press being all manual, no hassle of filters etc...haha

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Today coffee will increase your cholesterol. Tomorrow it will lower your cholesterol. Today coffee will make you gain 20 pounds for every cup you drink. Tomorrow coffee will be seen as the ultimate weight loss solution. Today coffee will drive you completely insane. Tomorrow coffee will be the solution for all the world's mental health issues.

Don't obsess over what the so called 'experts' tell you. (Remember when eggs were bad for you? Remember when a glass of wine was bad for you? Remember when . . . you get the picture.) Stop worrying.

Enjoy your coffee. Enjoy life.

All things in moderation.

Oh, and remember all that chlorine and fluoride in your tap water, that's supposed to be good for you (which hopefully you filter out or don't have to deal with) are far worse than any amount of coffee ever thought about being.

Last edited:

montre

Nov 26, 2013
Visit site
Don't obsess over what the so called 'experts' tell you. (Remember when eggs were bad for you? Remember when a glass of wine was bad for you? Remember when . . . you get the picture.) Stop worrying.
I can't agree more with you expat. We should not be obsessed with what coffee experts have to say. what to drink and what not to drink, they sound like shooting the arrow in the dark I guess. Enjoy your life and appreciate every little thing you do.

janry

Dec 16, 2013
Nashville, TN
Visit site
What other methods are you using right now?

I have now gone exclusively to using a Chemex pot. Not really for cholesterol but I enjoy the cleaner taste. I still have my moka pot and French press but I haven't used them in months. But that doesn't mean I won't pull them out one day for a change.

Bob_E

Dec 14, 2013
Michigan
Visit site
Bummer, I've been brewing with an old drip-o-lator without a paper filter. I really like drip coffee and I think the paper filters filter out too much flavor... This is the first I've ever heard of coffee raising cholesterol. I guess I had better start eating cheerios with my coffee.

lorsban

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Today coffee will increase your cholesterol. Tomorrow it will lower your cholesterol. Today coffee will make you gain 20 pounds for every cup you drink. Tomorrow coffee will be seen as the ultimate weight loss solution. Today coffee will drive you completely insane. Tomorrow coffee will be the solution for all the world's mental health issues.

All things in moderation.

Haha excellent point! I read in another article how coffee lowers the risk or some cancers AND lowers the risk of heart attack. Huh? So it increases my cholesterol AND lowers the risk of heart attack?

Time for some coffee hehe

lorsban

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
Was talking to a friend and he thinks the news linking cholesterol and coffee is total bull haha

He believes you can only get cholesterol from animal fat. I said nuts are high in fat too.

Then we got into this long discussion about fat and cholesterol haha! Too many factors really.