Can You Overdose on Caffeine?

Let's say you can. How much would it take? It is some insane amount? I searched previous posts and couldn't find anything definitive. Thanks.

i see a lot of "energy drink" deaths, but not so much for coffee. it seems 2 grams will put you in the hospital/casket depending on your tolerance level
    Cafe Mistico
    Lima, Peru "small artisan roaster"

Well, I think you would need to define "overdose" for your purpose. Normally overdose refers to medicines or drugs and in that case, I'd say any amount over the manufacturer's recommended levels would be an overdose. Overdose does not necessarily mean anything lethal. If you wonder how much it would take to kill someone, it may depend on the person's size and other factors.

Are you concerned you or someone else is drinking too much coffee?

I just did a search and came across this website (www.reiffandbily.com/strange-true-wrongful-death-cases-caffeine-overdose/) that says a 115 lb. person would have to drink 73 cups of coffee to 'overdose'. Let's say they're 8 oz. cups of coffee. That's a total of 584 fluid ounces of coffee or something like 36 lbs. That's an awful lot of coffee.

Quote Originally Posted by Larooche View Post
    I just did a search and came across this website (www.reiffandbily.com/strange-true-wrongful-death-cases-caffeine-overdose/) that says a 115 lb. person would have to drink 73 cups of coffee to 'overdose'. Let's say they're 8 oz. cups of coffee. That's a total of 584 fluid ounces of coffee or something like 36 lbs. That's an awful lot of coffee.
    you can also die from "water intoxication" (excess water consumption)
    Cafe Mistico
    Lima, Peru "small artisan roaster"

A person can know that he is on caffeine overdose by reading the symptoms he is getting. The first symptom in most cases is a sensation of shaking and tremors. It totally depends upon the tolerance level of the person. Generally speaking, the dose between 300 Mg to 500 Mg of caffeine is considered to be dangerous if it is being consumed in one day. Not to mention that some people can survive that too. Check out this Caffeine Database. It shows caffeine amount in various beverages.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    Coffee does not ask silly questions, Coffee Understands!!

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by namballe View Post
    you can also die from "water intoxication" (excess water consumption)
    I was thinking the same thing! It would be very difficult for someone to consume all of that caffeine by just drinking coffee or cola beverages.

Super Moderator
    I felt like I was going to die once from caffeine. I had consumed my usual amount of coffee..but I got samples of caffeinated marshmallows...I ate either 6 or 9...I do not suggest this to anyone.
    Caffex: Caffeine Marshmallows
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Super Moderator
    That was quite a lesson learned!

They must have tasted pretty good in order for you to eat so many of them. I would hate to imagine what would happen if someone bought a bag of them and a little kid got a hold of it.

heck if so then I should have been buried a long time ago lol but seriously caffeine is like any other addictive substance in that if you over indulge then there will be some side affects and I suppose the 'limits' will vary from perosn to person based on age, weight etc etc.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links