Caffeine withdrawal, hell for the past two weeks, is this normal?

Ech1776

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone!

So here's the thing. For the past half year or so I've been drinking probably at least a cup of coffee per day, and in the past 2 months or so I was drinking several cups a day until about two weeks ago when I pretty much (with the exception of a very small amount of caffeine now and then) quit cold turkey. I quit because I suspected it was the root of new found midnight awakenings and itchy skin (waking 2 hours after falling asleep until early morning.)

This may have not been the best idea, and I'm someone who is generally prone to depression, insomnia, anxiety etc. (although fairly mild in all cases). I exercise, eat healthy, don't use the computer too late, drink chamomile, take sleeping pills etc. but the past two weeks I have only had a decent night's sleep or two. The other nights I usually fall asleep around 11 and wake up at 1:30 am unable to fall asleep until around 6:30 or 7 which makes life just awful at times. The itching has gone away for the most part but I also do feel really depressed, angry and stressed (probably due to lack of sleep, which after a while can make you feel suicidal)

Do you think caffeine withdrawal is the cause of this? Is it normal for it to last this long? I'm extremely worried and might need to go to a doctor, even if I only sleep 2 or 3 hours I still can't sleep well the next night and it's really taking a toll on me.

Thank you for your help! I know that was long.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "Ech1776"

Welcome to the Coffee Forums website. We have had discussions in the past about caffeine withdrawal. If you use the Search feature that's at the top right of your screen to search the topic, you will see the threads where this topic was discussed.

You have mentioned two problems: Itchy skin, and not being able to sleep.

You need to do some detective work to figure out what's going on with the itchy skin problem. Are you drinking enough water during the day in addtion to drinking coffee? Have you used a new laundry detergent or soap recently? Do you have a thryroid problem that needs medication? etc, etc, etc.

The sleepless nights are another problem:
Have you gotten past the headaches go along with quitting caffeine "cold turkey." It's been two weeks, and by now you should be leveling out. Are you getting caffeine from other sources (chocolate, sodas, etc?).

There are lots of other things that could be causing your sleep problem. You need to do some research and explore them. Visiting a doctor is a good idea too. Maybe you need an adjustment in medication? Maybe you need to go outside and get some sunshine each day (Vitamin D). Maybe you need to block out all light sources in your room by covering up the glow of the alarm clock, other electronics, night lights, lights from outside sources, etc. And put your cell phone in another room!

Good luck on your research.

Rose

Ech1776

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
I'm pretty sure the itching was caffeine oriented considering when I stopped drinking so much coffee it slowly went away. The insomnia has not really gone away, it's been about twenty days now and last night I had a 4 hour gap in my sleep last night. My room is not too bright or anything like that, I get plenty of sunshine, eat right, read before bed etc. and have even nearly missed a night's sleep and the next night I was still wide awake after 2am.

I've heard caffeine withdrawal can last longer for certain people, there are stories of it lasting months (not sure how common that is though) so I was just wondering if anyone had any similar experiences. It could be caused by stress or anxiety exacerbated by said withdrawal who knows... It all started to get worse right about when I quit caffeine so that's why I assume it's that.

Thanks for your reply!

Ech1776

Oct 6, 2014
Visit site
Stress/anxiety/depression? If not I really need to see a doctor because this is not okay. The reason I suspected caffeine withdrawal is all of this started right when I quit coffee. Caffeine oversensitivity also runs in my family.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Stress/anxiety/depression? If not I really need to see a doctor because this is not okay. The reason I suspected caffeine withdrawal is all of this started right when I quit coffee. Caffeine oversensitivity also runs in my family.

Thanks again.

Enough time has gone by. Now it's time to consider seeing a doctor. Tell the doctor what's going on with you, and also explain your theory on how the sleeping problems started when you stopped drinking coffee. Mention the itchy skin problem too. It may be a symptom of something that you're not aware of.

I hope you get some answers and some relief soon.

Rose

HillofBeans

Apr 16, 2012
Visit site
Enough time has gone by. Now it's time to consider seeing a doctor. Tell the doctor what's going on with you, and also explain your theory on how the sleeping problems started when you stopped drinking coffee. Mention the itchy skin problem too. It may be a symptom of something that you're not aware of.

I hope you get some answers and some relief soon.

Rose

Doctor is the best advice... But if i may, As far as cutting out coffee, try green tea, it has caffeine for withdrawal but i dont think it shares much else with coffee and it is said to be a gentler, milder dose. Does green tea have caffeine? Seven things you need to know - NaturalNews.com