Can coffee go bad?

G

It won't make you sick but it won't taste good. Even packages that are sealed still loose flavor after about three months.

frany

Nov 23, 2005
Visit site
Maybe there is a very big difference with the taste and off course the aroma would not be as good as the fresh roasted coffee..

cindy

Feb 8, 2005
South Africa
Visit site
i can give you all a good answer on the q!

i discovered a packet of coffee thats been sitting in the back of the cupbourd for over a year about a month ago.
i was also a bit worried about getting sick or just getting a bad tasting coffee...i didnt get sick but it had almost no taste compared to a freshly ground coffee.

it was completely sealed off and i was kinda surprised at how much of the flavour and aroma just went missing in the so-called airtight packaging.

try it and be prepared to have flavourless coffee :-D

Alice2

Nov 18, 2006
Visit site
Yep, roasted coffee beans get old, they don't live in Suspended Animation til you grind them (like I used to believe!) From what I have beeen reading from others is it's best the first 5-8 days after being roasted, and after that it gradually loses its quality.

ryan4021

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I watched a tv show about Coffee beans and how theyre worked with in factory on 'How Stuff Works' tv show. they said you should treat your coffee beans like you do a loaf of bread, you should buy new coffee beans every week or so.

Believe it or not, and this is off-topic but another funny cool thing I leanred on the tv show. In some places, you can buy coffee beans pooped out of animals! There's a certain species of lemur (i think?) that sniffs out the most potent coffee beans, eats them, and then poops them out. Their digestive tract won't process the coffee bean so collectors will then go and grab the poo beans , clean them off and sell them. They are expensive though and from what I've heard, extremely good and potent coffee blend.

Anyhow, i hope this helps... I buy small bags of coffee beans that i know is a week's worth, then i just buy another.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for coffees, im in dire needs of trying new coffee blends. Please pm me if you have some, thanks guys.

tinninches

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
My pods are only guaranteed for 1 year from packaging date. Suprisingly though, I had a 100% Kona that was at the year mark and it taste just fine. But I'm guessing it had more to do w/ the nitro filled package.

bobjr

Apr 4, 2011
indonesia
Visit site
Coffee will be more comfortable if you keep it in the right place and with a good seal also to avoid changes of aroma and taste the coffee
grey.png

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
I use to give roasted coffee as gifts quite often. I had access to some very affordable green (much of it free). Some was some old-school Yemen Mocha that tasted like you added chocolate in the coffee. Gave some to a friend who we visited some time later (like a year later). She had kept it in teh freezer in a plastic bag. It was so stale that it tasted fully burnt. Nasty, nasty, nasty. Unless the coffee was kept in an air-tight container and kept in a deep freeze, you are in for an unforgettable experience... but not in a good way.