Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    I just Googled "Benefits of drinking coffee while pregnant" as a way to ferret out anything that contradicts the urge to just eliminate coffee out of ignorance of the truth. A doctor is just as susceptible to misinformation as the rest of us. Here is a result from WebMD.com:

July 21, 2010 -- Many pregnant women cut out caffeine the minute they find out they are expecting because of fears that their daily coffee may increase their risk for miscarriage or preterm birth. But a new position statement issued by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) should put some of their fears to rest. The group states that moderate caffeine intake -- less than 200 milligrams a day -- won't increase their risk of miscarriage or preterm birth.
    The same cannot be said for higher amounts of caffeine, the group states in the August issue of Obstetrics & Gynecology.
    "For years, women have been getting mixed messages about whether or not they should have any caffeine during pregnancy," says William H. Barth Jr., MD, chair of ACOG's committee on obstetric practice, in a news release. "After a review of the scientific evidence to date, daily moderate caffeine consumption doesn't appear to have any major impact in causing miscarriage or preterm birth." [Link to the article]

Peaberry

Caffeine and Pregnancy are a pretty common mix. The problem is when your consumption exceeds recommended guidelines. The article i shared says that you should keep your Caffeine consumption to no more than 200mg per day. That's about 2 -5oz cups. I found it difficult to remember to watch these guidelines when I was pregnant because I love coffee. I started prepping a batch of decaf and regular and mixed half and half. It worked well. I found this post late but it may help someone else looking.

If you have a high blood pressure it is better not to drink coffee,

Doctor said to my wife it would be dangerous.

You should not drink coffee while pregnant, or at least keep it to a minimum

I hope so! I'm looking at your responses as I was wondering about this myself. I think in moderation ( like anything) it is fine.

ADDED: I drank sweet iced tea daily with my 1st and he came out fine! Coffee made me sick with him. I am still wanting a cup in the am though with my 2nd...I don't need a killer migrane problem right now from withdrawls.

Quote Originally Posted by Jolliff View Post
    You should not drink coffee while pregnant, or at least keep it to a minimum
    Why during pregnancy one could not drink coffee.

So if the American College of Obstetrics and gynaecology says that caffeine intake of less than 200 milligrams won't increase the risk of miscarriage or preterm birth that isn't good enough for anyone here?

You can drink coffee during pregnancy. But according to some research, taking caffeine during pregnancy can affect the health of unborn child. So avoid it if you can. Try an alternative to coffee such as fresh Goji Berry Juice. It is good for skin and best for most health ailments in women.
    Morning without Coffee is not morning at all

It would be better if you are avoiding caffeinated beverages during pregnancy. You can get the advice from a doctor regarding this

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links