Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi guys,

Can I drink coffee when I'm pregnant?

Hello "coffeeboy123"

That question seems a bit strange, considering your choice for a user name for this Coffee Forum.

Many doctors advise women to switch to decaf coffee during their pregnancy. There is a small amount of caffeine in decaf, but it's not enough to cause problems. I've known many women who switched to decaf for the entire nine months, and couldn't wait to have a "real" cup of coffee after giving birth.

If you do some research on your own, you'll probably come to the conclusion that it's best to avoid caffeine during pregnancy.

Rose

coffeeboy123

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Hello "coffeeboy123"

That question seems a bit strange, considering your choice for a user name for this Coffee Forum.

Many doctors advise women to switch to decaf coffee during their pregnancy. There is a small amount of caffeine in decaf, but it's not enough to cause problems. I've known many women who switched to decaf for the entire nine months, and couldn't wait to have a "real" cup of coffee after giving birth.

If you do some research on your own, you'll probably come to the conclusion that it's best to avoid caffeine during pregnancy.

Rose

Hi PinkRose,

Actually I wanted to know this for my sister, who is pregnant.

Thanks for your help. Appreciate it!

vietnambeststore

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
When my aunt got pregnant she event avoid sitting next to me because at that time I brew coffee all day long, and coffee smell was all over my body, she said cafein is not good for her baby, though :( Still think you should consult a doctor 1st

nikkakae

Jan 13, 2016
Visit site
I think drinking coffee while pregnant is not a good idea. The caffeine will affect the baby. Remember what the mother get also what the baby gets.

NarcisaShepherd

May 12, 2015
Visit site
Drinking coffee is really not bad provided that you should not exceed the limit of 200 mg of caffeine in a day. Because if you drink regularly there could be a higher risk of miscarriage or some health problems on the part of the baby. If you can't resist coffee then you may try decaffeinated, that is a good option.

Last edited:

clipart125

Jan 30, 2016
Visit site
Mee too think that drinking the Coffee during the pregnancy is Not good for you and your children.But if you want to drink then there will be no problem and i will say that you should just be carefull in the first months because it may be cause of miscarrage ...But after the starting month you can drink..No :coffee:problem ..

Mr.Peaberry

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
I just Googled "Benefits of drinking coffee while pregnant" as a way to ferret out anything that contradicts the urge to just eliminate coffee out of ignorance of the truth. A doctor is just as susceptible to misinformation as the rest of us. Here is a result from WebMD.com:

July 21, 2010 -- Many pregnant women cut out caffeine the minute they find out they are expecting because of fears that their daily coffee may increase their risk for miscarriage or preterm birth. But a new position statement issued by the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) should put some of their fears to rest. The group states that moderate caffeine intake -- less than 200 milligrams a day -- won't increase their risk of miscarriage or preterm birth.
The same cannot be said for higher amounts of caffeine, the group states in the August issue of Obstetrics & Gynecology.
"For years, women have been getting mixed messages about whether or not they should have any caffeine during pregnancy," says William H. Barth Jr., MD, chair of ACOG's committee on obstetric practice, in a news release. "After a review of the scientific evidence to date, daily moderate caffeine consumption doesn't appear to have any major impact in causing miscarriage or preterm birth." [Link to the article]

Peaberry

wgiffard

Feb 15, 2016
Texas
Visit site
Caffeine and Pregnancy are a pretty common mix. The problem is when your consumption exceeds recommended guidelines. The article i shared says that you should keep your Caffeine consumption to no more than 200mg per day. That's about 2 -5oz cups. I found it difficult to remember to watch these guidelines when I was pregnant because I love coffee. I started prepping a batch of decaf and regular and mixed half and half. It worked well. I found this post late but it may help someone else looking.