Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

IS IT SAFE TO LET CHILDREN DRINK COFFEE?

This is a discussion on IS IT SAFE TO LET CHILDREN DRINK COFFEE? within the Caffeine Health forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; thanks for all the replys.....very helpfull i must agree that i think some parents over react to a certain extent....

thanks for all the replys.....very helpfull

i must agree that i think some parents over react to a certain extent.
    some people have pearly whites.....others drink coffee!

2. # ADS

is it safe to let children drink coffee

You can drink some coffee while your pregnant, I believe it's primarily the caffeine content that is the concern, so moderation. Children don't need coffee, some tails would say actually will stunt their growth. The seem not to like it anyway, don't "dress it up" for them.
    i'd agree to logging on to a medical site for real information, also don't check through sites that deal with homeopathic medicine and that sort.

2cents

I'd have to say that it didn't stunt my growth. I started drinking coffee at the age of 7 or 8 and I've managed to grow to 5'5". I'm the same height as my father and taller than both my sister and mother.

I seem to be the median height of relatives on my fatherís side.

Granted, I would only sip my fatherís coffee. He liked it with 3 creamers and 3 sugars, that and a small cup made it like candy.

I've been drinking coffee since I was 5 and I haven't noticed any adverse effects yet (I'm 17). My blood pressure is 95/48 so hypertension is certainly not a problem. I'm 6'3" so my height wasn't effected.

My parents never drank coffee with cream or sugar so I was introduced to black coffee and have always liked the taste.

I say, if they like the taste of black coffee and aren't drinking several cups a day let them have it.

Starting your kid on coffee at age TWO?

I insisted on starting drinking it at age 12 over the uproar of my parents. Coffee time was always such a big deal -- always had to have coffee with lunch and after dinner, and it SMELLED Soooo Gooood!

I agree though that letting a kid have coffee is better than letting them have sugary pop -- or worse, artificially-sweetened pop.

The things you read and the website out there supporting each and everyones theory....arggghhhh!!!!

Up to now there has been no conclusive evidence to support the direct effect of caffeine on brain development, hyperactivity or linked to ADD or ADHD, or any anthropometic studies evaluating the effects of caffeine on physical attributes such as height, weight or linking to premature aging of collagenous structure.

Is it a drug???? Yes, because of its effect on neurochemical receptors
    Is it a stimulant??? Depends on your metabolism and its suceptibility to adrenergic stimulation.
    Does it have negative repercussion??? Yes, 200mg of caffeine/day almost doubles urinary and fecal calcium output.
    What does that mean??? Premature decalcification of bones and teeth, and theories regarding abnormality of muscle contraction (since calcium initiates the nerve impulse at the motor end plate)

Is it a OK to drink while pregnant?? Is it OK to let a developing child drink caffeinated beverages?? NOBODY KNOWS for sure!!!!!! Rule of thumb... Better safe than sorry.

P.S. Coffee milk and Cola from the time I was a toddler and I grew up to be 6''6\", played college basketball and achieved to graduate with honors from a very pretigious school. Did it stunt my growth, I hope so!!!!! Did it affect my brain development, maybe!!!! Will I suffer from osteoporosis and have premature arthritis....most likely..... but satistically, because of my height and weight, I am already pre-disposed. Do I still drink coffee?? Occasionally. Do I let my kids drink caffeinated beverages??? Absolutely not!!! Why?? Refined sugars, first; habit forming, second; my father-in-law is a dentist, third; and obviously the potential remains that something will be discovered later on linking caffeine and !?!?!

Well, i'd say giving coffee to children is alright. When I was little my mom would give me a mug with about a third or less coffee and fill the rest with milk, and sugar. It was ok but I preferred chocolate milk

data

stick with the data and dont listen to everybody''s opinion. but as far as the research goes --one day coffee is good one day coffee is bad. bottom line is it is a drug and does affect receptors in the brain thats why you notice it versus water. so would you give anything to your child that affected his receptors in the brain. before you answer that question just remember that a candy bar also affects receptors in the brain. so if your confused you should be good nobody knows,

I have heard that giving a kid with ADD a small shot of coffee in the morning allows him or her to focus/concentrate better. I know the ADD thing has been WAY overblown but my father, who is a retired schoolteacher with 35+ years experience, has sworn this to be true.

I started drinking coffee at age 5 and my dad at the same age, my daughter started at 6 with "kids coffee" which is about 1/3 coffee and 2/3 steamed milk. She is totally normal when this is the beverage.

The real problem is corn syrup. That mixed with caffeine a la soft drinks are far worse. I was quite upset when her friend's mom dropped her off after letting her drink a coke.

She cups with us and it is part of learning the trade. I'm 6'2 and she is nearly 5' at age 8 so the whole stunting of growth thing is a myth from where I stand.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Ads