Carcinogens in Coffeee

markkislich

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Guy, as we all know, instant coffee can b loaded with carcinogens, namely Acrylamides.
But what if... when you filter brew quality coffee, then BOIL it? It tastes quite different, and I openly admit: I LIKE it...but are there maybe some carcinogens floating around in it, is the question..
Thanks,
Mark

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Guy, as we all know, instant coffee can b loaded with carcinogens, namely Acrylamides.
But what if... when you filter brew quality coffee, then BOIL it? It tastes quite different, and I openly admit: I LIKE it...but are there maybe some carcinogens floating around in it, is the question..
Thanks,
Mark

You mentioned "quality coffee." Is it Folgers in a can, or are you brewing coffee beans that you grind and brew yourself?

Are you filter brewing instant coffee???????

If you filter brew instant coffee, and then you boil it, it will taste obviously different, but it will be the same coffee.
If you filter brew "quality coffee", and then you boil it, it will taste obviously different, but it will be the same coffee.

You won't get rid of any carcinogens by boiling the coffee.

peterjschmidt

Oct 10, 2013
Milwaukee, WI
Visit site
This is strange. What is so compelling about instant coffee, moreover boiled instant coffee, that you would want to drink it? If there is a concern about carcinogens, why not just stop drinking that crap?

markkislich

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi Rose, long time no speak. :) Obviously I did not make things very clear.
I paper filter freshly ground (more or less) top quality coffee. Then it's done.
THEN I boil it. And heat can indeed create carcinogens, so... I was wondering because instant has these, maybe they get created by prolonged heating, just guessing? Shouldn't wonder...
But I think not too many will actually have an answer to this one, for sure, I mean. Not just some opinion...

markkislich

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Hi, obviously I did not make things very clear.
I paper filter freshly ground (more or less) top quality coffee. Then it's done.
THEN I boil it. And heat can indeed create carcinogens, so... I was wondering because instant has these, maybe they get created by prolonged heating, just guessing? Shouldn't wonder...
But I think not too many will actually have an answer to this one, for sure, I mean. Not just some opinion...

Mar 28, 2011
Connecticut
Visit site
Mark, the after boiling thing you do ... is the taste similar to coffee that has been sitting in a pot on a burner for a while? Like old restaurant coffee? Kind of burnt tasting? Where does the instant coffee thing come into play here? :???:

Len

markkislich

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
If you go to the top of this thread, you should see (in white letters) the words Thread Tools. Click on that, and then a drop down box will appear and you can select Subscribe to This Thread. Click on that, and you should be all set.
Thanks Rose. It says click here to unsubscribe, so I guess I am subscribed? Yet i don't receive any emails...