Caffeine and Anxiety

markkislich

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I work with athletes, and consequently know that use/abuse of stimulants can lead to mild-severe anxiety attacks. Even slight paranoia in cases. Order of progression: apprehension-anxiety-paranoia.

The thing with caffeine is that, while not nearly as potent as some other stimulants, it can still create at least apprehension/mild anxiety especially in those that are very sensitive to stimulants/caffeine. Especially when tired.

Question: do you have any suggestions for how to combat these side-effects, short of stopping caffeine altogether?
Some say taurine works, some suggest cardamom, etc.
Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mark

samesame

Mar 18, 2016
Visit site
could try stacking it with L-theanine... supposed to help counter the anxiety side of caffeine and help focus..

Last edited:

mantishugo

Oct 20, 2015
UK
Visit site
I remember when I got rid of caffeine addiction. I used to slow down my caffeine intake cup by cup every alternate day. Till I came down to only three cups a day. I started drinking Nopal juice for breakfast and built a habit of consuming healthy fruits rather than coffee every time I feel lethargic and sleepy.

javacentral

Nov 18, 2015
Visit site
You could decrease your intake of coffee. Pair that with some deep breathing exercises and that may help with at least mild panic attacks. When in doubt, just go see your doctor.

mantishugo

Oct 20, 2015
UK
Visit site
I agree with the above statement - do deep breathing exercises. It gives your brain plenty amount of oxygen which helps you get rid of all sorts of mental problems. Anxiety can be cured by doing regular practice of meditation and breathing exercises.

jasonbloom

Feb 9, 2020
Visit site
Caffeine is a stimulant — and that can be bad news for someone with anxiety. Caffeine's jittery effects on your body are similar to those of a frightening event. That's because caffeine stimulates your "fight or flight" response, and studies show that this can make anxiety worse and can even trigger an anxiety attack.

Lulla

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Coffee raises my blood pressure in the morning and sometimes, if my blood pressure is too high I feel anxiety and become more irritable.

Troubardour

Apr 14, 2020
Costa Rica and US
Visit site
This might sound dumb but I had a girl that was like that and would get severe anxiety from coffee, but loved it. The solution I found...Tiny cups. Seriously. I got her a cup that was basically for a 3 oz shot. She loved it because she sipped it felt like she was drinking a real cup but she obviously only took a bit of coffee. Since anxiety is very mind based, well, her knowing that the cup she was holding was tiny solved it in her mind. Problem solved, girl happy, me happy.

And yes, weed is great to drink coffee with. You can feel them working against each other.

Hely

Oct 29, 2020
USA
Visit site
I think the best solution is to reduce coffee drinking. Supplements can help, but not much.

It's like instead of treating a tooth, just taking a painkiller and hoping it will solve the problem.

If it is difficult to give up caffeine, you can drink decaffeinated coffee. It tastes pretty good and is almost no different from regular coffee.

But it is much safer for health. Now there is a wide range to choose from.

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Just drink more coffee and develop a real tolerance to it. Have drank so much since becoming a coffee technician 20+ years ago that it doesn't matter if I drink a pot a coffee or nothing at all there are no longer any withdrawal symptoms period. Drank a 12 ounce cup full of espresso today while calibrating a Schaerer Verisimo.