coffee/health problems

lunfardi

Jun 18, 2016
Visit site
after about 12/13 years i finally developed a stomach ulcer/gastritis/and colitis after consuming strong cups of black coffee each morning without drinking milk afterwards! i loved to drink a strong ass cup of black coffee especially of the folgers brand! my favorite was not instant coffee but instead ground roast instead. my mother always told me to mix coffee with milk so like that it wouldnt be that strong on my stomach! i had a colonoscopy and endoscopy done and it revealed an ulcer and the other stuff. has a strong ass cup of black ground roast coffee alone with no milk been known to ultimately cause ulcers and the other stuff that i have not only in my case but a lot of other people? if so, how? if not, why? dont get me wrong but i just fell in love with starting my day with a strong ass cup of coffee black with no milk especially of the folgers brand! im not trying to badmouth coffee but on the contrary say its a wonderful beverage but lots of people have complained that it irritates their stomach and causes other gastrointestinal problems, would all of this be true? how can someone who doesnt have ulcers and the other stuff that i have start drinking a strong cup of coffee every morning and not develop these symptoms? why does coffee get a bad rap for allegedly causing this stuff to develop in the stomach after years of drinking it then by some people? if someone who doesnt have ulcers and the other stuff that i have start drinking a strong ass cup of cold brew coffee accompanied later with a cold glass of milk, do they still face the chance of ulcers and the other stuff that i have but later on in life like 15 or 20 years down the road??????? can a coffee lover/expert please share their opinion with me on this controversial subject. thank you.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
Not everyone is same. sometimes you get ulcers in few years and some never.

for me, I do not like "strong ass black coffee". I rather have light flavorful specialty coffee few times a day. Probably caffeine wise, my style of coffee should have more caffeine than "Strong ass black coffee" (lighter roast has more caffeine than darker roast).
Also, on the other hand, I am not so certain that "espresso type" black and strong coffee really cause ulcers or any related stomach problems..

if anyone has some good answers, please let us know.
thanks
Alex from Ensoluna S.A.

ensoluna

Banned
Apr 29, 2014
Quetzaltenango, Guatemala
Visit site
By the way, just wondering about your user name "lunfardi".
I do not know what Lunfardi means, but I know what Lunfardo means. Lunfardo means "slang" in Spanish which is being used in Buenos Aires and Montevideo.
Just wondering whether you are from any of these two countries.... because Argentina and Uruguay are two of my favorite countries in the world.

DeathtoBubbles

Jun 20, 2016
Visit site
Hey Lunfardi,

Sorry to hear about your issue!! It's funny you bring this up though because the WHO just removed coffee from it's list of carcinogens. There were studies that linked coffee to bowel cancer but new studies show it was hard to prove links.

I know personally I get stomach discomfort if I drink too much coffee, moderation is key right? I recommend staying on the milker side to keep it mild OR if you are lactose intolerant try almond or soy - which are much better for digestion than regular dairy.

If you're interested I actually just wrote a blog post on the health benefits of coffee so feel free to check it out.

barryallen1337

Aug 18, 2019
Visit site
The health effects of coffee are controversial. Despite what you may have heard, there are plenty of good things to be said about coffee. It’s high in antioxidants and linked to a reduced risk of many diseases.However, it also contains caffeine, a stimulant that can cause problems in some people and disrupt sleep.

georgewhittington

Apr 1, 2019
Visit site
Coffee containing caffeine can cause insomnia, nervousness and restlessness, stomach upset, nausea and vomiting, increased heart and breathing rate, and other side effects. Consuming large amounts of coffee might also cause headache, anxiety, agitation, ringing in the ears, and irregular heartbeats.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
You don't say how many cups of coffee you drink like that. Is it just one in the morning or is it 5? If it's just one, I highly doubt a single cup of coffee every day would cause you to have an ulcer and colitis. If it's 5, even that amount may not be the cause. Your question should be posed to the doctor you saw and who is likely treating you. Consuming large quantities of pretty much anything will likely result in some sort of negative side effects. Good luck with your issues.

Lulla

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I had gastritis in my teens, but the right treatment and diet helped me get rid of this disease. I believe that you need to visit your doctor and he will be able to prescribe pills for you, sometimes I look for analogues of medicines here Canadian Pharmacy , this allows me to find good generics with such active substances or just pills that cost a little less. After you cure your gastritis, you can drink strong coffee and not experience any discomfort.