Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Caffeinism, Caffeine Psychosis

This is a discussion on Caffeinism, Caffeine Psychosis within the Caffeine Health forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; Scientists have released a report on how caffeine is related to aggression, paranoia and other health problems. They have compiled a list of their findings ...

Caffeinism, Caffeine Psychosis

Scientists have released a report on how caffeine is related to aggression, paranoia and other health problems.

They have compiled a list of their findings and coined the terms "Caffeinism" or "Caffeine Psychosis".

Independent.co.uk

I noticed similar actions when I was a coffee drinking teenager at home. I had always assumed it was just a regular part of growing up.

reply with your thoughts about this, or experiences in a caffeinated psychosis.
    The man with the many Coffee hats.

2. # ADS

Super Moderator
    Wow...thanks for the great insight...shut up...sorry..are you looking at me? stop touching me...ok I am back....sorry it is hard to type with my hands shaking so much! To be honest the only way caffiene affects me is if I drink too much coffee it will make me a bit shakey 0r a bit snappy but its not my fault if people didn't act so stupid...ok sorry need another cup.....
    "Wine is for aging, not coffee."
    Ken Hutchinson, Starsky and Hutch

Every stimulant has an effect that is why it is a drug. I have no doubt that caffeine is tied to any of the stimulating effects to increase the bodies actions. I do find when I have agression I stay away from hot drinks. Paranoia, mMMmm that is just for those guinee pigs that were locked up in the white room wearing straight jackets for their testing, yah i'd be paranoid too

You know...now that you mention it. I've noticed a similar reaction to NOT having my daily coffee consumption. Everyone reacts differently, I guess. I think that I'll get back to force-feeding my white mice, pounds of saccharin, now.

Titration!

Yeah, I agree- I think my personality improves with coffee, up to a point, anyway!
    "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love." -- Turkish Proverb

Great point--I am a completely different person if I haven't had my coffee right after breakfast. (No matter what's going on, I go get my double americano first thing)

My supervisor at my internship this summer thought about expensing my morning java because it seemed like such a necessity and made me so much more productive

I just got finished reading what to me looked like a rather biased article against coffee, about.com.
    The study is with a 500mg pill of caffeine, not a cup of coffee. and I do beleive 500mg of caffeine is about 10 cups of coffee! I am pretty sure most anyone not used to this amount of caffeine per day will have feelings of stress.

Certainly, one does develop tolerance...

In periods when I am not drinking coffee for extended periods, and then I suddenly drink alot, I get jitters and insomnia, but if I'm drinking liters per day (like lately), I can drink a pot and fall asleep immediately (at night, anyway).

Some interesting info from this site, although it does appear to present a rather negative bias towards caffeine:

http://science.howstuffworks.com/caffeine.htm

The site itself is addictive- I originally ended up at it trying to find out if dolphins and whales sleep (asked by my kids).

It also presents interesting info on the history of coffee, coffee growing, brewing, etc.:

http://home.howstuffworks.com/coffee1.htm
    "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death, and sweet as love." -- Turkish Proverb

First off, I love the how stuff works site, I've lost many hours reading info about LEDs and DVRs on their site.
    The story is not too one sided but still interesting, this paragraph is my favorite.
    Caffeine is an addictive drug. Among its many actions, it operates using the same mechanisms that amphetamines, cocaine and heroin use to stimulate the brain. On a spectrum, caffeine's effects are more mild than amphetamines, cocaine and heroin, but it is manipulating the same channels, and that is one of the things that gives caffeine its addictive qualities.
    Since I have been accused for the usage of amphetamines when I had a few (to the power of 5) too many caffeinated drinks [ coffee, jolt, bawls, etc... ].

caffeine psychosis

caffeine is certainly a stimulant of the sympathetic nervous system, and thus increases adrenaline, generally substances that increase the conversion of tyrosine to catecholamines have some backlash in the mesolimbic pathway (such as amphetamine s and cocaine), thus causing a psychotic side effects, I am a big coffee drinker myself, and so have wonderd about this for some tiime....could caffeine act like a dopamine agonsit and precipitate psychosis? inteersting stuff! :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ads