What medications does caffeine interfere with?

luvmyjoe

Oct 19, 2017
Visit site
I know that I am supposed to wait at least one hour after taking my thyroid medication before drinking caffeinated coffee but are there other medications that are affected by caffeine?

Lulla

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
In fact, many medicines cann't be combined with caffeine. I know that all pills for reducing blood pressure or pills for heart disease are poorly compatible with a cup of coffee. You can check your pills through the portal Canada Drugs to find out that they don't increase blood pressure or cause arrhythmia. Your doctor may also tell you how to drink coffee properly if you are undergoing any treatment. I really like coffee, but I had to not drink coffee for more than a month when I was undergoing treatment.

Artur77

May 2, 2020
Visit site
Due to the diuretic effect, the drink leaches sodium, magnesium, vitamins B1 and B6 from the body, thereby interfering with their absorption.

Mik3e

May 6, 2020
Visit site
I see. So this means that old folks should seek advise from their physician when it comes to coffee intake. Right?

georgewhittington

Apr 1, 2019
Visit site
Medications that can increase caffeine's effects include some antibacterial medicine like Cipro (Ciprofloxacin), some of the antidepressants, and asthma medicines like albuterol and theophylline. Check with your doctor or pharmacist about whether coffee can interact with your medication.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
I drink one to two cups of coffee each morning. And I also take a blood pressure pill in the morning and one at night. My cardiologist never told me that I needed to cut out the coffee. I actually do not think the small amount of caffiene I get in those one to two cups of coffee are inconsequential. Any effect on my blood pressure from the morning coffee, if any, is likely gone wihtin and hour or so. If you are taking medication for blood pressure, as I am, it is for a more systemic issue that requires keeping the blood pressure down permanently. I will say that I've recently begun exercising significantly by riding the bike for between 50 and 75 miles a week and doing pushups, bicycle crunches and planks. The hope is to do this while being more mindful of what I am eating so I can lose weight. That will hopefully reduce the need for the blood pressure medication. Time will tell.

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
A quick search reveals that caffeine can possibly interact with many medications, have a look here.

Interesting. I'm not seeing any blood pressure medications on the list. Now I really feel good that my two cups of coffee per day aren't negatively impacting my blood pressure. I suppose if I began drinking four or more cups a day it might be a different story. But I'm good with my two. And if I do drink coffee later in the day, I drink decaf.