How Much Caffeine is in a Cup of Coffee?

BestProductsHouse

Mar 7, 2020
Visit site
Do you have a cup or two cups of coffee every day? Do you even know how much caffeine is in a cup of coffee anyways (warning, it’s a lot)? You may feel interested in knowing why it does what it does. It’s because of the caffeine and now you want to know how much caffeine is making you feel what you feel.
This is a tough question to answer because what size of a cup are you talking about? Are you referring to a huge cup or a small disposable cup that restaurants usually serve you with? So, it is best if we talk in terms of liquid units.

So let's start your assumption here

MntnMan62

Nov 15, 2019
New Jersey
Visit site
Some mornings I'll just use the Keurig and an 8 oz. mug. Other days I'll drink two Victor diner mugs of fench press with half coffee and half foamed milk. I presume I'm drinking about 100 to 125 mgs of caffiene using either approach. And that's all the coffee I drink in a day.

shadow745

Aug 15, 2005
Central North Carolina
Visit site

You can apparently, have up to 400 mg of caffeine a day. However, the consumption of more won’t exactly cause death. But, it will cause other disturbances in the body.

To know more you can also Google or "How Much Caffeine Can You Safely Consume?"

There are so many variables involved that any given number is just a basic guideline and nothing more. I've never known or read of a death actually being caused solely by caffeine and I doubt it's really likely/possible. I would imagine the body's defense mode would kick in somehow to prevent too much from being consumed at a given time. The '400 mg' safe zone is barely a starting point to my day. I can easily consume upwards of 1 gram in a 3-4 hr. timeframe and feel nothing out of the ordinary. No change in blood pressure, pulse, agitation, nothing... Not just guessing with my number either as my typical morning averages 5-6 doubles (espresso) in a few hours and often followed up with 1-2 energy drinks that are 160-240 mg each. I do feel what energy I have is simply sustained, but it takes quite a bit to actually feel energized on an unusual level. Honestly believe at this point in life I would have to consume upwards of 2 grams daily to feel any sort of a real jolt.

I do take health seriously as for the last 3 yrs I've battled a very serious near fatal illness that led to life altering/permanent changes. Also caused 2 small strokes at which time I cut my caffeine intake in half practically overnight just to be sure things would smooth out. The strokes had absolutely nothing to do with caffeine, blood pressure, etc., but I was doing my part to keep things in check. Once scans/labs were done to confirm and I started feeling somewhat normal again I did slowly bump up my caffeine intake to get back to my daily fix level. Told my neurologist that I was not ever intending to give up caffeine as it's the one thing that never lets me down and they totally agreed. Saying my system can handle what I do with no apparent problems and they had no concern on any changes to my daily regimen. When neurology can't suggest any room for improvement it sorta speaks volumes.

Point being we are all different with what we can tolerate and the only sure way to know is to try things to see what the end result is. Don't just go by what you read or hear, etc.

topher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Aug 14, 2003
Boca Raton
Visit site
There are so many variables involved that any given number is just a basic guideline and nothing more. I've never known or read of a death actually being caused solely by caffeine and I doubt it's really likely/possible. I would imagine the body's defense mode would kick in somehow to prevent too much from being consumed at a given time. The '400 mg' safe zone is barely a starting point to my day. I can easily consume upwards of 1 gram in a 3-4 hr. timeframe and feel nothing out of the ordinary. No change in blood pressure, pulse, agitation, nothing... Not just guessing with my number either as my typical morning averages 5-6 doubles (espresso) in a few hours and often followed up with 1-2 energy drinks that are 160-240 mg each. I do feel what energy I have is simply sustained, but it takes quite a bit to actually feel energized on an unusual level. Honestly believe at this point in life I would have to consume upwards of 2 grams daily to feel any sort of a real jolt.

I do take health seriously as for the last 3 yrs I've battled a very serious near fatal illness that led to life altering/permanent changes. Also caused 2 small strokes at which time I cut my caffeine intake in half practically overnight just to be sure things would smooth out. The strokes had absolutely nothing to do with caffeine, blood pressure, etc., but I was doing my part to keep things in check. Once scans/labs were done to confirm and I started feeling somewhat normal again I did slowly bump up my caffeine intake to get back to my daily fix level. Told my neurologist that I was not ever intending to give up caffeine as it's the one thing that never lets me down and they totally agreed. Saying my system can handle what I do with no apparent problems and they had no concern on any changes to my daily regimen. When neurology can't suggest any room for improvement it sorta speaks volumes.

Point being we are all different with what we can tolerate and the only sure way to know is to try things to see what the end result is. Don't just go by what you read or hear, etc.
Glad you're still with us pal! I agree 100% with you. When people ask how much coffee I drink they gasp and say that isn't good for you. Well your not my doctor. He said my numbers are great. I started working in coffee over 30 years ago and have consumed the same amount for over 30 years with no adverse effects. Tell a lie. When I first started I was drinking every coffee I could, but no water. I learned the first year you need to drink an undgodly amount of water or your kidneys will let you know you are being bad.:oops: