Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Does Coffee Stunt Your Growth?

This is a discussion on Does Coffee Stunt Your Growth? within the Caffeine Health forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; Growing up nonstop everyone always nagged that 'coffee stunts your growth' and that I would remain small forever. This is something that never phased me ...

Does Coffee Stunt Your Growth?

Growing up nonstop everyone always nagged that 'coffee stunts your growth' and that I would remain small forever. This is something that never phased me and I just figured they were screwing with my mind to stop me from drinking coffee.

My question to the informed, Does Coffee Really Stunt The Growth of the Human body? I've been researching on the net and all results are showing different conclusions.

As far as caffeine stunting one’s growth, this is a myth. Scientists have had many concerns about this possible side effect, but thus far there has not been any research to support it. It is important to know that caffeine can have many other adverse effects on your health if consumed in higher doses. Caffeine can cause anxiety, headaches, jitters, sleep interference and contribute to some heart problems. This substance is a drug and like most stimulants it can be addictive. Once addicted, there are withdrawal symptoms to deal with such as severe headaches, temporary depression and irritability. You might have thought that caffeine was just perking you up, but it may also be playing with your attitude as well. Athletes should pay close attention to how much caffeine they consume, as well as any other person. Caffeine has a dehydrating effect on the body’s cells (making them lose water), but at the same time causes your body to urinate. This two-fold mechanism causes rapid water loss from the body. It will also cause athletes to have sore muscles and delayed recovery time.
    What should I do, continue to drink the Coffee with Caffeine or call it quits. Even drinks like coca-cola are caffeine enhanced drinks!

2. # ADS

I am taller then my peers and close family. I drink coffee all the time so I guess I'm living proof that caffeine probly doesn't affect your height.

Yeah I drink coffe a lot and I'm 6'2.

I think it is a crock of beans. Around 40 years ago some lab mouse didn't grow full size when it was injected with a steady, insane amount of caffeine and it has been an old wive's tale ever since, in my opinion.
    I think people should be warning others about drinking hormone-laden cow's milk that is bringing children to puberty quicker these days instead.

I also read that "coffee makes you fat" out of a health magazine which I think is also a crock 'o beans.

The withdrawl symptom thing is probably true, though I've never noticed it myself. But as far as the athlete thing goes, I run for my town's cross country team and I drink probably 8 or 9 mugs of coffee a day. I have not seen coffee or caffeine as a detriment, but that is just me.

re: Will Coffee Stunt My Growth?

Growth Stunts because of coffee is a lie that our parents would use to keep us away from drinking the coffee since it was a 'grown up' drink.

When I was a youngster I would sneak some of my parents coffee while they they out of the room. Nothing I really cared for during that time but their consistant nagging that it would stunt my growth caused me to rebel and drink it more. Now I'm addicted and I have only one group of people to thank.. my ma and pop.

As far as stunting goes, what if the asked for height/weight when you sign up and do a poll of coffee drinkers and their height

5 foot 9 inches is where I stand in height. And to answer notmuffy' post I'm not fat, atleast not yet

CB

I could add that I am 5'7" which is on the taller side for women, AND I am 2 inches taller than both my parents who were 5'5". Yeah, I could pinch an inch (or maybe two ) but I couldn't be classified as fat either.

***edited to add***
    source: http://www.arextreme.com/news/get-news. ... t-news.asp
    From U. of Guelph, Ontario Canada
    Caffeine does not improve maximal oxygen capacity directly, but could permit the athlete to train at a greater power output and/or to train longer.

Caffeine Pills

It has also been shown to increase speed and/or power output in simulated race conditions. These effects have been found in activities that last as little as 60 seconds or as long as 2 hours.

Caffeine Stimulates

I know this guy, we will call him Nulltone -- I don't think he's ever had a cup of coffee in his life. Hes a pretty short guy right now. Since caffeine in coffee is a stimulant from an uneducated point of view I'd first think that it would help you grow. However science is telling us that it doesn't have an effect on growth. Nulltone drink your coffee, I wanna see if you will grow a little taller. Since you're still young though you have time to grow

CoffeeLover

Quote Originally Posted by Nokia3590
    Yeah I drink coffe a lot and I'm 6'2.
    I am 6' 3" and have been drinking tea since I was
    8 and coffee since I was 15...

Ah! I could'a been somebody if I laid off the caffeine!

Colin

www.coffeecrew.com

Cool. I guess it doesn't stunt your growth then!

growth

sdsdi can't image that this would affect anyone's growth.

every male in my family of 6 is over 6' - so it can't be.

we all love coffee!

Have a good one! drink away!

Alex Novitzky
    Alex Novitzky
    Alex Novitzky
    Alex Novitzky
    Alex Novitzky

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Ads