preventing staining of teeth?

PatriciaV2

May 30, 2006
Visit site
Is it possible to prevent teeth being stained?

This may seem weird, but I have this method where I try to push the coffee back to the back of my mouth under my tongue (not the way I generally drink). Will this help somewhat in preventing teeth staining? I realize there would still be some residue.

What's your opinion on this? :-D

Thanks!
Patricia

cuppED

May 15, 2005
Visit site
Hahahaha, I've always wondered about that too b/c I use to do the same. I think someone once told me if you drink water and swirl it around your mouth right after you drink coffee that it'll help stop or lessen the staining.

billagirly

Mar 29, 2005
DFW, Texas
Visit site
I think I'm the weirdest yet - I drink coffee through a straw. Hot, cold, lattes, mochas and black - I drink it all through a straw.
I have noticed on the instances when a straw is not available to me, that my teeth actually feel different from when I do use a straw, of course, it's probably all in my head. Either way, my teeth are in good shape considering the copious amounts of coffee and nicotine I consume.

Bafa

Mar 23, 2007
Visit site
[quote:d56c005170=\"cuppED\"]Hahahaha, I''ve always wondered about that too b/c I use to do the same. I think someone once told me if you drink water and swirl it around your mouth right after you drink coffee that it''ll help stop or lessen the staining.[/quote:d56c005170]
The only thing about that is it completly destroys the thing I love about espressos. The after taste. it''s like I am still drinking coffee even after I am done :)

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
My teeth used to really stain badly inbetween trips to the dental Hygenist. I always thought it was coffee and tea doing it. Certainly cutting down on them helped a bit.

I found out later though that the bigger problem is if you smoke as well, it encourages the coffee and tea to stain more for some reason. I quit smoking nearly 6.5 years ago and I don't get the staining problem any more.

If you smoke, possibly this is whats making it worse....if you don't smoke :roll:....I dunno....use a straw?

CJA

Sep 20, 2011
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Even with 2 cups a day religiously, I haven't had any staining issues, given I brush my teeth twice a day. I would also recommend using a straw if you want to be absolutely certain your teeth aren't coming in contact with the coffee/tea/etc.

FredRavez

Mar 7, 2012
Visit site
Keep your teeth clean

Floss. Ever notice how stained teeth look worse around the edges? That's because the plaque (a thin, nearly invisible layer of bacteria and food debris) that accumulates between teeth and at the gum line attracts stains like a magnet. Limit plaque with flossing, and you'll fight stains, too.

Quit smoking.

Be wise about beverages.

Use a straw.

Use stain-removing toothpastes with caution

Don't get creative. Brushing with baking soda can scratch composite resins and porcelain veneers (which are used to make crowns and other types of tooth restorations). Scratches on these materials pick up stains more readily.

Regards,
Fred

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I've tried sipping hot coffee through a plastic straw, and it makes the coffee taste like plastic. Even the plastic coffee stirrers, that are meant for hot items, make the coffee taste funny. Maybe my taste buds are more sensitive than most people. I also have a problem with drinking coffee out of styrofoam cups.

I'll continue to use dental floss and a whitening toothpaste.

Rose

brianwekes

Sep 7, 2012
Las Vegas
Visit site
It's not really difficult one for anybody. You just avoid drinks, which leave stains. You must use proper teeth whitener or whitening gel. You can also stop smoking and other bad habits like biting your nails.