Health benefits of Caffeine

Ross

Jun 17, 2006
Kansas
Visit site
My mom totally banned me from all caffeine products and she said if I could find some good health benefits from caffeine and coffee then I can drink it. Could you guys help me out a little?

Boege

Jul 10, 2006
Visit site
Ross said:
My mom totally banned me from all caffeine products and she said if I could find some good health benefits from caffeine and coffee then I can drink it. Could you guys help me out a little?

Hi Ross.

I drink one cup of coffee a day, in the mornings, with one teaspoon of turbinado sugar. No more, no less, and no other caffeinated drinks (I have a very strong dislike of sodas and especially won't touch anything with high frucose corn syrup in it). I'm in my late 20s and have been drinking coffee for a little less than a year now. Stayed away from coffee and caffeinated beverages my whole life until I read an article saying that coffee might help relieve nasal allergies. Being that I suffered from allergies and congestion severe enough to keep me on antihistamines or other medications every single day, I figured I had nothing to lose. No idea if it is the coffee or not but for the past several months my allergies have been extremely minimal. I'd also noticed that I hadn't been suffering from hypoglycemia over the past several months as well, and after a few net searches, found some interesting articles regarding coffee that might explain why.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/781053.stm
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20010804/food.asp
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3882792/

agula_jonson

Jun 6, 2007
Visit site
OK buddy tell your mom that a certain amounts of caffeine can have beneficial effects. Historically, small amounts of caffeine have been used to help control weight, alleviate pain, open up airways for improved breathing, and overcome chronic fatigue.

feltgrape

Aug 20, 2006
Visit site
Boege said:
Ross said:

Hi Ross.

I drink one cup of coffee a day, in the mornings, with one teaspoon of turbinado sugar. No more, no less, and no other caffeinated drinks (I have a very strong dislike of sodas and especially won't touch anything with high frucose corn syrup in it). I'm in my late 20s and have been drinking coffee for a little less than a year now. Stayed away from coffee and caffeinated beverages my whole life until I read an article saying that coffee might help relieve nasal allergies. Being that I suffered from allergies and congestion severe enough to keep me on antihistamines or other medications every single day, I figured I had nothing to lose. No idea if it is the coffee or not but for the past several months my allergies have been extremely minimal. I'd also noticed that I hadn't been suffering from hypoglycemia over the past several months as well, and after a few net searches, found some interesting articles regarding coffee that might explain why.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/781053.stm
http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20010804/food.asp
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3882792/

I started drinking coffee and suprisingly stopped having allergies, got sick less, woke up easier, lost weight, and for some reason coffee calms me down and makes me focus on what i'm doing better.

CoffeeDetective

Jul 10, 2006
Montreal
Visit site
Some amunition for your struggle...

Ross, hi

Nearly all the negative press about coffee and caffeine can all be linked back to a study at Harvard about thirty years ago. The study showed a possible link between coffee and cancer. The trouble is, the study was flawed and Harvard public withdrew it shortly afterwards. But the stigma remained.

Here's the latest from Harvard:

"Despite 20 years of reassuring research, many people still avoid caffeinated coffee because they worry about its health effects. However, current research reveals that in moderation—a few cups a day—coffee is a safe beverage that may even offer some health benefits. The September issue of Harvard Women's Health Watch weighs the pros and cons of this popular beverage and eases the concerns of moderate coffee drinkers.

The latest research has not only confirmed that moderate coffee consumption doesn't cause harm, it's also uncovered possible benefits. Coffee may reduce the risk of developing gallstones, discourage the development of colon cancer, improve cognitive function, reduce the risk of liver damage in people at high risk for liver disease, and reduce the risk of Parkinson's disease. Coffee has also been shown to improve endurance performance in long-duration physical activities."

Source: Harvard Health Publications, Harvard Medical School, 2006.

If I am permitted to add a url, you can find out plenty more about the benefits of coffee and caffeine here: http://www.coffeedetective.com/coffee-benefits.html

(Maybe your mom will love the fact that coffee is the #1 source of antioxidants in the North America diet.)

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Nick

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Great site Nick, I hope you stay with this forum.

I will send this link to my ex boss, he's also from Canada and doesn't trust health advice from Americans like myself, maybe he will trust you.

He's now using ground dandelion root in some of his baking recipes because he says it mimics the flavor and look of coffee but without the health risks associated with coffee. He used to see my cup of coffee on my desk and rudely ask "what are you drinking, tar?". I think the info on your website will enlighten him on the subject of caffeine/coffee health.

Stick around Nick, we need you here.

Davec

Oct 18, 2006
Old England (UK)
Visit site
Well Ross, here is a Gene for metabolising Caffeine, if you have it then the coffee won't have very much effect on you and probably not much negative effects, certainly not if your young. If you don't have the gene, then a couple of coffees and you're reaching for the skies.

I can drink 2 or 3 cups before bedtime and have no problem sleeping, for others that amount would keep them awake. In a sense you can only find out how it affects YOU by drinking it.

It has been shown to be beneficial in preventing type 2 diabetes (thats the one you get from being too fat, eating too much carbs and usually onsets around age 50.

Also even water can kill you, so I doubt your mom can protect you from everything even though she might want to. I also can't remember reading about people dying from coffee...unless their machine fell on them. Of course if your old and have a bad heart, or very high blood pressure, possibly coffee isn't the best thing in the world.

Enjoy it while your young, because when you get old, theres a lot less things to enjoy. When your young, your told not to have too much sex, don't drink, don't drive too fast, dont.........

Well your older, you wish you had done a lot more of those forbidden things and it didn't do David Bowie any harm....although it didn't help Ozzie Osbourne I suppose :D

davidsbiscotti

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
The Ozzman cometh and the Ozzman shall goeth.

Moderation is key in most cases. Genes do help determine what a person can handle. Some can handle more than others.
I drink coffee morning noon and night and still sleep like a baby.

In macrobiotics you learn about a person's constitution, among many other things. You can tell by a person's facial bone structure, the size of their ears, the width of their nose, etc., how strong their constitution is. George Burns drank and smoked his whole life and lived to be 100 years old. You could say he had a strong constitution. This is genetically passed on usually.

Besides that, a person can also develop a tolerance for almost anything. Whether it be caffeine or alcohol or a tolerance for pain, or a resistance to viruses and bad bacteria.

For some reason, I don't think kids should have caffeine. Nor too much sugar. I say wait at least until your kid's gone through puberty before allowing them to appreciate a good cup of coffee. They're already full of too much positive energy as it is. Maybe it's just my upbringing though. :wink:

Requiem

Mar 23, 2008
Visit site
[quote:ee60302e60=\"Ross\"]My mom totally banned me from all caffeine products and she said if I could find some good health benefits from caffeine and coffee then I can drink it. Could you guys help me out a little?[/quote:ee60302e60]

Hey Ross, there are actually quite a few established health benefits of daily consumption of coffee;

Firstly, with regard to risk of type II diabetes mellitus:

Very large study done out of Harvard with n = > 100,000 which showed a ~30% reduction in T2DM in patients who consumed 4 6oz cups of coffee a day. What this means is in the coffee drinkers, their risk of diabetes decreased by 30% compared to the non-coffee drinkers, all other things being equal. Here are some other studies:

(1)B. Smith, D. L. Wingard, T. C. Smith, D. Kritz-Silverstein, and E. Barrett-Connor
Does coffee consumption reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes in individuals with impaired glucose?
Diabetes Care, November 1, 2006; 29(11): 2385 - 2390.

(2)
Coffee and Sweetened Beverage Consumption and the Risk of Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus: The Atherosclerosis Risk in Communities Study
Am. J. Epidemiol., December 1, 2006; 164(11): 1075 - 1084.

(3) J. A Greenberg, C. N Boozer, and A. Geliebter
Coffee, diabetes, and weight control.
Am. J. Clinical Nutrition, October 1, 2006; 84(4): 682 - 693.

(4) Diabetes Care. 2006 Feb;29(2):398-403.
Coffee, caffeine, and risk of type 2 diabetes: a prospective cohort study in younger and middle-aged U.S. women.
van Dam RM, Willett WC, Manson JE, Hu FB.

If you look at the dates they''re all very recently published in the literature, i.e. 2006.

If you need another benefit it''s tied to lower incidences of Alzheimer''s Disease as well, maybe associated with the pharmacological inhibition of Adenosine Type II receptors in the CNS.

kk

Mar 17, 2008
Visit site
Ross said:

wow mom really rained on the parade! lol
i work for snapple to promote their Antioxidant Water and I think that this might be a good angle to take up with your mom. Tell her that it is packed with antioxidants which help to prevent cancer. It does have a bit of caffeine, but since it is considered a healthy drink it can't be all bad, right? lol seriously though its pretty good, i like the melon flavor. 8)

kk

Mar 17, 2008
Visit site
kk said:
Ross said:

wow mom really rained on the parade! lol
i work for snapple to promote their Antioxidant Water and I think that this might be a good angle to take up with your mom. Tell her that it is packed with antioxidants which help to prevent cancer. It does have a bit of caffeine, but since it is considered a healthy drink it can't be all bad, right? lol seriously though its pretty good, i like the melon flavor. 8)

only their strawberry acai flavor has caffeine...whoops! its still a strong case to make for mom though imho.

kpaxman

Jan 29, 2009
Visit site
sorry but your mom is probly right about caffeine. go to google, type in NASA, CAFFEINE in the search engine and the first story that comes up should be an illustration of 4 spider webs and the effects of marijuana, caffeine and other drugs had on them, pretty interesting!! Caffeine had the worst affect.

kpaxman said:
sorry but your mom is probly right about caffeine. go to google, type in NASA, CAFFEINE in the search engine and the first story that comes up should be an illustration of 4 spider webs and the effects of marijuana, caffeine and other drugs had on them, pretty interesting!! Caffeine had the worst affect.

HA. If you could be any more wrong you would probably be struck down by lightning!

Oh no, but you're right! 100%! Coffee IS bad! And so is Fruit, Vegetables, AND Water!

Excuse me, Sir, but, by any chance do you know of anything you say before you actually say it? Coffee reduces the risks of Stroke, Heart Attack, Reduces the chance of Altimeters, and, um, more things. A lot more. I kinda forget them right now (lol irony) but theres a lot of health benefits about Coffee.

To the poster, your mother seems kinda under-educated to me, no offense. Just about the coffee. Coffee has MANY MANY health benefits! She might as well not let you have health foods either while shes at it! Just tell her about all the benefits, or better yet Google the benefits of Coffee (Thats how I know about it) and tell her. If you as much as a Psychopath as me, she'll tell you to drink at least two cups a day! (Bleh-Heh-Heh)