Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Are pregnant women really not allowed to drink coffee? WHY??

Hi!

I been drinking coffee since grade 2 and coffee is almost my water. I drink it from the moment I wake-up, after every meal and whenever I feel like having a break from my work. Now, I',m kinna worried because we'll getting married next year and we are planning to have a kid by next year as well --- Whem I get pregnant, does it mean I won't be able to drink cofffee for more than 9 months? WHY???

And if I can't drink coffee, what will I drink as alternative. I can't drink milk alone and I'm not really a fan of tea. My best bet is hot chocolate though it is too sweet from me. Suggestions anyone???

Any doctors here who can help me out
    coffeetology girl

I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV. JK. The short answer is yes, but of course in moderation. I am assuming that I would have to cut back the 6+ I have daily if/when we become pregnant.

Here is a link to a website that discusses what is safe and what isn't: http://www.babycenter.com/400_is-it-saf ... 62_1001.bc

There are also some health benefits to coffee. When I was a child, my doctor told my Mom to give me a strong, hot, black cup of coffee and to help alleviate my asthma symptoms until she could get me to the emergency room. It helped with my wheezing. So, I guess you could say I drink coffee for medicinal purposes. Even today, if I am away from my inhaler, a hot cup will at least calm me down until I can get to it.
    AJPratt
    Pratt's Hill of Beans

"Don't laugh at the coffee. Someday you may be old and weak, too."

Quote Originally Posted by AJPRATT
    I am assuming that I would have to cut back the 6+ I have daily if/when we become pregnant.
    ?

I used to be schizophrenic but we're better now! :P
    Have you ever walked through the aisle of your local grocer and smelled the death of a dying bean?

Very funny. Its "the thing" now to say "we're pregnant". Although there's no "we" about it.
    AJPratt
    Pratt's Hill of Beans

You really dont need to worry too much. I am a coffee addict myself. But when I was pregnant my body hormones totally put me off coffee...I find it hard to beleive it myself, but I did not want to have any coffee and you dont even have to worry what to drink instead, your body automatically lets you know what in needs in its place.

I developed cravings for things which i never liked and was totally put off by some of the things i really enjoyed...well, thats pregnancy...

Super Moderator

Pregnant

Glad I can't get pregnant, I love my coffee.
    Jim Lyon
    Jim's Coffee Beans
    relax and roast some beans

It hasn't been bad. My doctor said its OK to have some here and there. So, I do my tasting throughout the day for quality control, but any drink I have, its decaf. I haven't had any real aversions. I'm not really feeling the brocoli right now, but for the most part, I've been very fortunate with our little bean.
    AJPratt
    Pratt's Hill of Beans

just for you

Hi...! You're so funny. I'm glad not yet pregnance now but i think coffee is much delicious to forget him. My baby too (some day i mean). Coffee or anyelse is good for mom pregnance too, but if we consume not over. Just for 1 or 2 cup of coffee a day, if you are have not any problem for your health, it's ok. If you have problem .... please baby much more so kind than coffee. Some day you can drank any time, if you have not problem with you're body.

See U

Decaf. Close your eyes and pretend.

I think best to be safe. Heck, I drink decaf now mixed with my four daily lattes because, I was becoming jittery and sleeping bad.

I detoxed and now I am very sensitive to everything I consume.

I can't get over the weird looks I get when I order decaf though.

It ain't a sin!
    Sunrise Coffee Co.
    Las Vegas
    sponsor of the fifteen minute coffee zen

Re: Are pregnant women really not allowed to drink coffee? WHY??

Well, I was pregnant twice, have two children now, and with my first pregnancy I cut out all coffee. Not a single drop. It was hard for the first couple of weeks, but after that it was just fine. My baby was totally healthy and wonderful. For my second pregnancy, I thought, well, one cup a day won't hurt...so I had 1/2 - 1 cup a day, and had a son, but he has bad allergies and skin problems. INfact he has such bad food allergies, he can only eat about 8 different foods in the whole world. Everything else he is allergic to on different scales. Milk will kill him. (I did drink a lot of Latte's). I'm not sure if caffine contributed to his allergies or not, but if I had to do it over, I would stay away from all coffee just the same.

I also heard as few as 4 cups of coffee can kill a fetus in it's critical stages of development. I did a lot of research online and think the best is no coffee. But DO drink tons of water. (even the chemicals in decaf are not good for fetuses either)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links