Any concrete evidence out there?

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
Will we ever get any concrete evidence that points to the health benefits of caffeine?
Millions of dollars spent on research and all we keep getting are countless, inconclusive results.
May be, could be, possibly, but wait, let's also throw in a disclaimer, so no one thinks we're
advocating the consumption of coffee...
What's the deal?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
There have always been evidence of health benefits of caffeine. They have used it in headache medicines for a long time. There are other uses as well. But like alcohol and many other drugs caffeine can be easily abused and that is why it is considered some what dangerous because of the addiction to it.

If you get right down to it a lot of drugs have good properties that allow us to benefit from them. The only major problems is they are too addictive. Almost every major drug from Opium to LSD were made for medicinal purposes or used as a way to enhance a person's abilities. LSD for a time was widely used for psychiatric purposes.

Jan 18, 2008
MASS.
Visit site
I see, very good points.

I was wondering if there might be some kind of legal penalties tied to officially promoting the consumption of caffeine. There's always the "but wait, don't go start drinking two cups per day,
just because we said there may be health benefits".

What could be the harm though...
Someone gets hooked on caffeine and sues the doctor who did the study?

"I got headaches when I tried to quit drinking coffee, now I want compensation for my woes!"
Hmmm... Yeh, I guess that's possible too, ha!

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
As your doc would say breaking that addiction is going to cause a headache so go ahead and sue because just like the McDonald's lady in the end your going to get nothing! :-D

Honestly though people do market caffeine on a regular basis. I still see NoDoz commercials on late night TV. Also look at Red Bull, its nothing more then caffeine in a can.

CJA

Sep 20, 2011
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Caffe Biscotto -- I share your sentiments about the health benefits issue, and how inconclusive it always ends up being. Seems like there's always a drawback for every benefit, and so you can do just as much harm to yourself as you can be helping yourself. Because of this I drink it in moderation now (2 cups of coffee a day, nothing else caffeinated).

Chris