Caffeine Health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrum

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
So, first off, hoorah for minor addiction of caffeine.
Now let us move on.
I take about 4 caffeine pills (200mg/pill) each morning, than 1-2 more later in the day.
I don't have any sleeping problems, but how bad is this?

CCafe

Aug 11, 2004
Des Moines, Iowa
Visit site
Depends on how long you've been doing that and what type of tolerance your body has built up to it. I drink about 1/2 gallon of coffee a day before I switch to tea or some other from of drink. Assuming the average 8oz cup of coffee contains around 120mg/caffeine then I consume about 960mg a day just from my coffee intake. In total I might consume around 1500 to 2000 a day.

Vega

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Why do you take caffeine pills in the first place? I drink a lot of coffee from the morning until about 2pm. After that I don't usually have any more caffeine, instead I'll drink water. As far as being bad for your health, anything in excess can kill you but I wouldn't think that much caffeine is too bad for you. I guess the thing I would want to know is whether your heart rate or blood pressure is elevated to dangerous levels because of the caffeine.

calvin07

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
There is one medical problem specific to caffeine pills that aren’t normally a problem with caffeine consumption through other means. Caffeine overdose can be fatal, but in order for that to happen by drinking coffee, a person would literally have to drink over 150 cups within a short period of time. While that is technically feasible, it’s almost impossible to actually do. On the other hand, swallowing the equivalent amount in pill form is very possible and has, unfortunately, has been done.

Caffeine is not a good substitute for sleep, no matter what form it comes in. While using caffeine pills to grant you a few extra hours of alertness is certainly not a major problem, depending on these pills for energy can be. Like any other drug, caffeine’s positive effects work best when used in moderation. The temptation with caffeine pills is to pop them at the first sign of tiredness. That route will only lead to an increased need. An you might over do it.

Ozzy43

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
Is it true that Caffeine can increase blood pressure? I have a high blood pressure and currently searching for what causes it. I appreciate your feedback with me.

jahncrish

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Although coffee is relatively safe and will have no adverse health effects on the majority of the population, there are probably rare cases of people who should avoid caffeine because of its stimulating effects. The people with irregular heartbeat or other heart conditions and pregnant women must avoid taking it.

sircoffee

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
n women, coffee consumption significantly decreases all-cause mortality, apparently decreasing somewhat linearly to a relative risk of approximately 0.85 for those drinking 3 cups per day compared to those who consume no coffee, but the relative risk then remains almost the same for up to 6 cups per day, according to a large prospective cohort study.
In men, these beneficial effects were not as great, in fact with an increased risk for those drinking approximately one cup every other day compared to those drinking none, but yet having a significant trend towards less mortality for those who drink more than 2 cups per day compared to those who drink none. Results were similar for decaffeinated coffee.

MikeRoger

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ozzy43 said:
Is it true that Caffeine can increase blood pressure? I have a high blood pressure and currently searching for what causes it. I appreciate your feedback with me.

Caffeine can cause many symptoms such as, restlessness, headaches, dizziness, difficulty sleeping, and anxiety. By taking 5 cups of coffee a day may increase the risk of heart attack.People who are borderline high blood pressure should not take caffeine because it can raise blood pressure.

rudyy

Mar 24, 2011
imperial valley
Visit site
interesting. while i think i like coffee as much as the next person, for a mid-day pick-me-up, or a boost at any time of the day, i prefer an eye dropper full of b vitamins. the effects are subtle and don't require me to grind, heat, pour. (then again, i joined this forum to learn how my three-step coffee process can be improved upon, and a desire to try coffees unavailable in the desert where i live).

OG Java Junky

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Healthy Coffee

Yes, I have high blood pressure and I could tell the difference when I was drinking regular coffee (it would elevate) and when I stop drinking it with no boost. I was in a lose, lose situation so I switch my coffee to a healthy coffee and my blood pressure was regulated and I had my boost without the caffeine effect.

Randy G.

May 8, 2008
California
Visit site
It would be virtually impossible to remove all other factors to isolate the effect of long-term caffeine consumption on the human body. This becomes clear when there are about as many studies that show the positive effects of coffee as there are negative effects. Such a small percentage of the population eats quality food how can one test caffeine when diets are filled with artificial flavorings, colorings, preservatives, artificial sweeteners, GMO food sources, insecticides, heavy metals, high-fructose corn syrup, air pollution... it goes on and on. Add job and family stress levels and sedentary life styles and it's no wonder that heart disease, high blood pressure and the rest are such topics of consideration. They even come up with new names for diseases - instead of heart burn, we now get "acid reflux disease."

The point? Listen to what your body tells you. If you get heartburn, don't just take a pill. Look into your diet and eating habits. Drink more water. Eat smaller meals. If caffeine raises your blood pressure, don't drink it. But be careful about quoting medical studies to prove any dietary point. There are probably just as many that prove it wrong.

And what is "a healthy coffee"? If you are talking about anything other than decaf, we might have a problem here.

Status
Not open for further replies.