coffee causing nausea

megan22

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I am a coffee lover but now every time a drink coffee I become nauseated. Sometimes it last all day. I have tried all different types of coffee. I have also tried tums and pepcid. The only thing that helps is prevacid and I don't want to take it just to be able to drink coffee. I am going to have to give it up for a long while if not forever. My question is has anyone ever had this problem and were you able to drink coffee again?

CJA

Sep 20, 2011
Washington D.C.
Visit site
Megan,

I'm not sure I had the exact same problem as you, though at one time drinking coffee was making my acid reflux (which caused me significant nausea) much worse, according to my doctor. I was prescribed a drug called Protonix, or what they call a "protein pump inhibitor." It counteracted the problems I was having in my stomach, and after taking it on/off for a year I never had the problem again.

I also wonder if you're varying your caffeine intake too much -- in other words, do you drink roughly the same amount every day? At one point before I knew about the effects of caffeine withdrawal (which includes nausea), I drank different amounts of coffee on weekdays and weekends, and I would end up feeling awful because of it. I had never realized how sensitive I was to the amount of caffeine my body was looking for. Ingesting the same amount every day solved these issues.

Hope this helps a little...good luck.

Chris

megan22

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply CJA.

I think I also have acid reflux. I don't get any burning or reflux, just nausea. I can drink coffee if I take prevacid, but I decided to give up coffee for the unforeseeable future. It has been about six weeks and my stomach has been feeling a lot better. You give me hope that I will be able to drink it again. Thanks

Latest posts