Sinus/throat problem

snoochiepoochies

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Once in a while, drinking coffee has a very distinct, very rapid effect on my sinuses. They dry out, and become irritated. It's like a sore throat, but less sore and more dry/leathery feeling.

It's not caffeine- or at least, other caffeinated drinks don't cause it. I sometimes chug a can of Monster lowcarb, with no effects. It seems to be specific to the coffee.

I ran across an article today on coffee mold, and have read in the past about acidity, tannins, and oils in the coffee. I'm wondering if anyone has any insight into what specifically may be causing this? I have found no correlation between type of bean, brew process, or drink temp- they all do it to me sometimes.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hello "snoochiepoochies".

Welcome to the Coffee Forum website!

Are you allergic to nuts, like almonds, walnuts, peanuts, etc? I remember reading (a few years ago) that sometimes people get an allergic reaction to coffee if they already have an allergy to nuts. I don't remember where I saw the article, but I'll try to find it when I have time.

There are a lot of theories regarding sensitivity to coffee. Do you get the same reaction when you drink an iced coffee drink? Have you tried hot tea to see if it's the hot beverage that's irritating your throat?

Hopefully, someone on this forum will be able to help you figure out what's going on.

Rose

retes231

Jun 4, 2012
Visit site
Try changing your coffee. Maybe there's something in your coffee that causes these symptoms. And just to make sure, you may want to consult your physician.

Latest posts