Why do some coffees/roasts affect people differently?

devindmoon

I've had several people tell me, "Your coffee doesn't affect me like other coffees!" Before I allow this to affect my ego, I wanted to find more scientific explanations on the subject.

I've only been roasting about a year and a half. Of the coffees I've roasted--from bottom-shelf Robusta, to premium Organic Arabica--people generally tell me that my roasts don't affect them as negatively as other coffees.

I'm aware that "all people are different", but might there be some things in a certain roast/bean/plant that generally affect people more positively or negatively?

Forget aroma and taste for a moment. In what other ways do our bodies react to...
- Organic vs. not-organic
- Fresher vs. more stale raw beans
- Fresh vs. stale roasted-coffee
- Arabica vs. Robusta
- Different varieties (e.g., Bourbon vs. Typica vs. mixed varieties, etc.)

?

If there's already a thread regarding this, I'd love to know!

Thanks!

~ Devin

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Hi Devin,

When people tell you that the coffee you roast doesn't affect them like other coffees do, do they explain why?

For example: Are they saying they're more or less jittery (from the caffeine)? or Are they feeling less alert? or Are they referring to how their stomachs feel (more or less burn, burp, etc)? Are they noticing a day-by-day difference or is it an ongoing (everyday) difference?

Is there a particular coffee that they're referring to, or is it all of the coffees that you roast?

Rose

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello Devinmoon;
You are very correct in you're assumptions about fresh vs stale,Arabica vs Robusta and different varites/origins. The best way that I know how to discribe the differences is go to a baker and get fresh-out of the oven bread and pick up day old bread and then maybe a 4-5 day old bread. Most people will see a remarkable difference. Next order a white bread and a whole wheat bread. They both come from wheat but taste different because of their processing. You can then go to an artisian baker and try their bread and all of their varities and different ways of preparing the bread. All different from the same wheat. Another way is to compare to different wines. You have the $9.00 gallon box and then you have your $90.00 bottle.
I have people that say coffe isn't done right if it doesn't taste like "Char" and then you have some oldtimers like parents that they grew up on boiled canned coffee that can't or don't want to appreciate a good cup of coffee because they are accustomed to their style of drink. Another point is that the majority of your canned coffee's have alot or all Robusta in them which have a higher caffeine content. Also, different roasts from different origins will have more/less acidity, more/less body, more/less flavor profiles. Also lets not forget that different roasts will affect all of these as well.

I still remember my first cupping session. In front of me were 3 recently roasted arabica and a just opened (stale) canned coffee. I couldn't spit it out fast enough.
Brian

devindmoon

Hi Devin,When people tell you that the coffee you roast doesn't affect them like other coffees do, do they explain why? For example: Are they saying they're more or less jittery (from the caffeine)? or Are they feeling less alert? or Are they referring to how their stomachs feel (more or less burn, burp, etc)? Are they noticing a day-by-day difference or is it an ongoing (everyday) difference?Is there a particular coffee that they're referring to, or is it all of the coffees that you roast?Rose
Rose,On average, middle-aged women comment that my premium grade, organic coffees don't make them nearly as jittery, and it doesn't disrupt their stomachs. I wish I had more data to go by--I'm working with a pretty small customer base right now. ~ Devin

devindmoon

Hello Devinmoon;
You are very correct in you're assumptions about fresh vs stale,Arabica vs Robusta and different varites/origins. The best way that I know how to discribe the differences is go to a baker and get fresh-out of the oven bread and pick up day old bread and then maybe a 4-5 day old bread. Most people will see a remarkable difference. Next order a white bread and a whole wheat bread. They both come from wheat but taste different because of their processing. You can then go to an artisian baker and try their bread and all of their varities and different ways of preparing the bread. All different from the same wheat. Another way is to compare to different wines. You have the $9.00 gallon box and then you have your $90.00 bottle.
I have people that say coffe isn't done right if it doesn't taste like "Char" and then you have some oldtimers like parents that they grew up on boiled canned coffee that can't or don't want to appreciate a good cup of coffee because they are accustomed to their style of drink. Another point is that the majority of your canned coffee's have alot or all Robusta in them which have a higher caffeine content. Also, different roasts from different origins will have more/less acidity, more/less body, more/less flavor profiles. Also lets not forget that different roasts will affect all of these as well.

I still remember my first cupping session. In front of me were 3 recently roasted arabica and a just opened (stale) canned coffee. I couldn't spit it out fast enough.
Brian

Brian,

Do you roast? Have you experienced a difference in bodily functions between lower and higher grade coffees? *

I get it. Fresher is always better. Perhaps it really is like bottom-shelf vs. top-shelf liquors? I can't count how many people have told me "I ain't touchin' Tequila ever again!" and when they tell me which kind(s) of Tequila they've tried, and how they abused it, I laugh. If only people would forever quit crappy coffee after a caffeine binge. *

I like that cupping technique. I should keep some lesser quality coffees around, just for cupping sessions to show people first hand what coffee could be. *

Perhaps one other comparison: cheap cigarettes with additives vs. natural, organic, additive-free tobaccos. Sure, they'll probably both kill you in the end, but I've noticed that when I smoke stuff with additives, I was much more addicted, and my head hurt. When I switched to only organic tobaccos, I smoke less, can go longer without, and my head and body don't hurt. *

Are there so many additives/pesticides/whatever in non-organic coffees that our bodies would be affected by them? *

Is there anything added in supermarket coffees after the roasting process that isn't coffee? Like a similar thing to the additives in canned foods to make them last longer, or chemicals on fruits to make them stay ripe longer and not go stale as fast? *

~ Devin

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
Rose,On average, middle-aged women comment that my premium grade, organic coffees don't make them nearly as jittery, and it doesn't disrupt their stomachs. I wish I had more data to go by--I'm working with a pretty small customer base right now. ~ Devin

Devin,

How long has this been happening? Is it the same women over and over again? Is it two women who come in to your shop together?

Is it possible that because they're getting premium grade, organic coffee that they've convinced themselves that it makes them feel better?

Is there a way to get them to tell you what coffee they were drinking before? I know some people have less problems when they switch from a dark roast coffee to a medium roast one.

I guess you have some more exploring to do!

Rose

devindmoon

Devin,How long has this been happening? Is it the same women over and over again? Is it two women who come in to your shop together?Is it possible that because they're getting premium grade, organic coffee that they've convinced themselves that it makes them feel better?Is there a way to get them to tell you what coffee they were drinking before? I know some people have less problems when they switch from a dark roast coffee to a medium roast one. I guess you have some more exploring to do!Rose
Rose,It's very possible that people convince themselves it's better for many reasons--they know and like me, it's organic, there's more flavor, etc.Of course, the most scientific way would be to have two groups of people do blind-coffee drinking tests for a long period of time, where one group drinks one bean/roast and another drinks a different one, and then after a week or month have the groups switch, all the while doing piss tests or something. I wish I had the resources! It's been more than 2 people. Several. At least 10 or so. And not all women. True... most seem to have been drinking store-bought French roasts (because they "like strong coffee"). And my coffees aren't roasted that dark. So it's possible that it's just a matter of carbon tolerance.Are there properties in certain coffees that aren't in others (Other than caffeine content, which seems to be the only compound people like to talk about)? Or that are more prominent? If so, what are they? E.g., are certain coffees, roasted certain ways, higher in antioxidants, and would that have a noticeable effect on the coffee-drinker? Perhaps countering negative effects of acidity/caffeine/other compounds?- Devin

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello Devindmoon;
I think that the most likely components that are in coffee that affect people are the caffine and acidity. So many factors are involved in these that it would be hard to give examples as so many different factors and combinations affect these from location of growing, harvest and processing types, roasting and finally brewing. And then you add in the psychological effect and ..........
Brian