Addicting

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
So, is the coffee addicting? I have heard many people saying that coffee is really addicting and one should stay away from it (this is not my opinion though). What is your take on this? Do you think that coffee can be addicting? Please share your reviews !!!
:idea:

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Well that is a great question! Wikipedia says this...

"Consumption of large amounts of caffeine – usually more than 250 mg per day – can lead to a condition known as caffeinism"

and this...

"Addiction and tolerance - With repetitive use, physical dependence or addiction are likely to occur. Also, the stimulatory effects of caffeine are substantially reduced over time, a phenomenon known as a tolerance. Tolerance develops quickly to some (but not all) effects of caffeine, especially among heavy coffee and energy drink consumers. Some coffee drinkers develop tolerance to its sleep-disrupting effects, but others apparently do not."

It makes sense that there could be a dependency issue but we probably will never see any notable issue as long as there is no prohibition on the substance its self. Could you imagine if governments everywhere banned coffee beans, it would be anarchy!

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm, right, thanks for sharing this. My stand is that I do not believe wikipedia, simply because it is perhaps the most unreliable source of information on the internet and anybody can "edit" it anytime, which leaves no reason that we should or we can trust it.
Yes, there will be a definite anarchy in case any government bans it, but before doing that, governments should ban the much more damaging and hazardous things such as cigarettes, drugs, heroine and so on and so forth.....

:coffee:

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok you have a point about Wikipedia, one should never trust one source but take in many and form an opinion. The one thing that is glaring at me here is the fact that it is a stimulant, as long as that is not in question then I would think that there is a possibility of dependency that could be formed. Is it as addictive as other stimulants? my guess would be it is not as addictive but still could cause dependency. Because it is not illegal and there is no prohibition we do not see any social ramifications from it. Along with the lack of prohibition it is cheap and readily available.

Should there ever be a coffee shortage though, will people buy and drink bottom of the barrel stale coffee just to get by, my guess is that a lot would and they would complain about it... until they got used to the fact that that was all they could have. Is this not a trait of an alcoholic? When they can no longer afford or have access to the best booze dont they start drinking rock gut whiskey to get there drink on? That was the case durring prohipition in the 20's right?

Just thinking out loud

Last edited:

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
I pretty much agree with what you just said. I also believe that it is not as addicting as some of the other things but it could certainly cause dependency.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
For those of us who depend on repeat business we certainly trust that coffee is addicting! And the more you read about it lately you see that drunk in moderation it is packed with health benefits (of course give it another 10 years and the medical community will flip-flop on that).

I like to call coffee a 'positive addiction'. Also a nice morning ritual to help me greet the day.

Basically, if you don't overdo it, you don't need to overthink it.

ppkgan

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Yea I think that there are lots of things that can get us hooked, have you heard of the latest addiction, Facebook. Ha! I think that we put way to much effort into over thinking things now-a-days! Everything in moderation! I was not trying to make coffee out to be the devil, just talking about the topic. I love the stuff, and... I think I will have a cup now! LOL

Last edited:

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm... Well, coffee can be addicting, and yes, if you do ingest enough caffeine it can wreak havoc on the old body.. Heart Palpitations, shakes, jitters, etc.

However, in my personal experience, coffee to me isn't really an addictive substance in and of itself.. I think one can be addicted to the taste of coffee, perhaps what goes with coffee, addicted to the INTERACTION that comes with coffee, but as an addictive substance, it would rank right down there with coca cola, or sprite. Do you think people get addicted to coca cola?

Same thing :)

Dang... I shoulda been a lawyer... LOL

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
For those of us who depend on repeat business we certainly trust that coffee is addicting!

I like to call coffee a 'positive addiction'. Also a nice morning ritual to help me greet the day.

Basically, if you don't overdo it, you don't need to overthink it.

Yes, I agree that coffee is sort of positive addiction even if it is addicting. And yes truly, it does come as a nice morning greet.
I now really feel that the more you read and discuss about the coffee being addicting, the more you actually get addicted to it.
:star:

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
If a person injests enough of any substance for a long time, and if that person has negative physical and emotional symptoms when they stop injesting that substance, then the substance is addicting. I have known people who drank a lot of diet Coke throughout the day (contains caffeine) and then had the same headaches, jitters, and nausea, etc. when they stopped drinking it - the same symptoms that happen when people go through withdrawal when they stop drinking coffee.

I've noticed that recently when I visit the Coffee Forum and read all of the posts about coffee, I suddenly want to have a cup of coffee. If I walk away from the computer and go do something else, the thought usually goes away. I doubt that reading and discussing something can make you addicted. If you're already addicted, reading and discussing it will make the cravings come real fast.

Rose

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
If a person injests enough of any substance for a long time, and if that person has negative physical and emotional symptoms when they stop injesting that substance, then the substance is addicting. I have known people who drank a lot of diet Coke throughout the day (contains caffeine) and then had the same headaches, jitters, and nausea, etc. when they stopped drinking it - the same symptoms that happen when people go through withdrawal when they stop drinking coffee.

I've noticed that recently when I visit the Coffee Forum and read all of the posts about coffee, I suddenly want to have a cup of coffee. If I walk away from the computer and go do something else, the thought usually goes away. I doubt that reading and discussing something can make you addicted. If you're already addicted, reading and discussing it will make the cravings come real fast.

Rose

You hit the nail on the head. I quit smoking two years ago, and mostly I don't even think about it, but when I smell it, or see someone smoking... MAN do I want to light up! It's a SUPER strong urge, but once the smell goes away, and I can no longer see anyone smoking, it's like that old adage "out of sight, out of mind' and it goes away.

And of course if you drink two liters of diet coke/coke or whatever a day, then yes you can get everything you describe. (I may be exaggerating with two liters, but whatever constant amount that is more than the "norm")

However, just reading and discussing something can't make you addicted to anything.. Except maybe reading and discussing it LOL...

Edited: As an example FaceBook, people are addicted to that, and it is simply reading and discussing ;)

Last edited:

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like you might have an addictive personality.

Lol, I don't know but I am not certain about my addicting personality. Sometimes, I feel that I do have an addicting personality while sometimes I believe that I don't. So, I am not really sure but in terms of coffee, I don't know if you can say addiction or routine, whatever. "Positive addiction" is the best word for coffee, I read here on this forum the other day.
:coffeemug:

MyMugsHalfFull

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
True.. Coffee isn't hurting anyone, so let it be an addiction. Just don't drink 12 cups daily ;)

As long as you aren't suffering any ill effects from coffee, nothing wrong to being addicted to it. Seems like a harmless enough addiction. I can't see a reason why it would be harmful.

Even a facebook addiction can be detrimental to a lifestyle, I don't see how a coffee addiction could be...

btreath9082

May 9, 2012
Visit site
Even a facebook addiction can be detrimental to a lifestyle, I don't see how a coffee addiction could be...

Lol, This is the best line in your post, I believe. That is so true, yeah. Even if coffee is addicting, it is not doing any harm to the people. All it does is keep the people fresh and charge them so they can continue working throughout the day.

So, my message would be to go for coffee without any fear. Obviously, not as much as 10 or 12 mugs a day as you just mentioned. As it is rightly said,
"Excess of everything is bad".