100% Hawaiian Kona Coffee

CTCoffeeguy

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi All,

I live near the Hartford CT area and for many years have purchased Hawaiian Kona coffee from a local coffee shop. Unfortunately today I found out due to a shortage they will not be able to get the coffee for some time. Luckily I was in Kona about a month ago for vacation and picked up some supply, but I was hoping I could get a suggestion from folks here on a reputable online seller who would have the 100% Kona coffee and not a blend.

Thanks much.

bprotsman

Jan 13, 2008
Ft Lauderdale
Visit site
There is definitely a shortage. Hopefully this harvest is much better, but lots of past (last year) contracts have to be filled first, so it will be awhile. When you do find a source questions I would ask are; 1. Is it 100% Kona? 2. Do they use Extra fancy, Fancy, #1, or Prime? I wouldn’t pay top $ for prime or #1. Just a thought.
Some really good South and centrals out there to hold you over if your quest leaves you empty handed though.

bprotsman

Jan 13, 2008
Ft Lauderdale
Visit site
Spice, What do you mean by Terms?? Kona is graded as Extra fancy, Fancy, #1, Peaberry and Prime. Prime being the lowest on the totem pole. Point being it doesn't hurt to know what your paying for.

bwilson4web

Jul 21, 2017
Visit site
An old thread, I've had an unplanned, short-term, withdraw from my regular Kona.

Ordinarily I order 10 lbs of green from Smithfarms every 8-11 months. I home roast to my taste, a dark, second crack just before oil, and prepare it espresso style. My wife likes a chocolate taste so she get coffee cup brew with a bit of chocolate flavored, protein drink. To order, my trigger was roasting the last pound only this last time, I only had under 1/2 pound.

There was a delay in the order as Smithfarms is headed to selling only roasted coffee. Understood as no one has figured out how to microwave roast. After pleasant negotiations, I'll be getting my regular order in a few days.

Smithfarms sells a good, consistent, medium roast, which is a fine treat I would recommend to anyone. However, past experience is roasted coffee stored at room temperature is only good for a few weeks. As it ages, the crema from brewing disappears and shortly thereafter, the subtle flavors. Roasted may last longer if frozen but that requires a study.

So Thursday afternoon, I was downtown and ducked into the local coffee roaster. Their roasted Kona is a little pricy and not quite what I prefer so I ordered my original blend, 50/50 French roast and Sumatran. I normally would buy this from a grocery store bin made espresso style with a dollop of sweetened, condensed milk, a past treat. But this time, UGH, I had to put in a little milk to make it tolerable. A square of very dark chocolate helps (is there anything not improved by chocolate?)

Life changes so I'm ordering a pound of Smithfarms roasted coffee. I'll use part of it stored at room temperature and the other half frozen. I will experiment to see if I can re-roast to make it a little darker. These are experiments so I have not results, yet.

Well happy savoring my fellow coffee zombies,
Bob Wilson

GreenCoffeeGeek

Aug 5, 2017
Michigan
Visit site
Check out Paramount Coffee. They have been around for 30 years or so. I know for sure they do labeling and roast around 500,000 lbs per week. If you look up a large franchise called Big B's Coffee, you will see just one of the companies they roast for. They have multiple brands and are one of the largest in the industry.

sophiadner

Nov 23, 2017
Los Angeles
Visit site
Blue Horse 100% Kona Coffee K cups come from a small farm that is completely pesticide free, and you can expect high-quality because of this.

These K cups are filled with 100% Kona coffee. This coffee is hand picked, sun dried, washed with rain water, and this whole process happens without any herbicides or pesticides being used on the product. Additionally, the coffee is 100% government compliant for Kona coffee standards!

Another good option to consider when choosing your next K cups are the Kona Bean Co. 100% Medium Full Roast Kona Coffee K Cups. The best thing about these K cups is that they will work in all Keurig machines (including 2.0 models), but there is more to love than just that.

The coffee itself is sustainably harvested and bought through direct trade to ensure that the Kona coffee market stays healthy. The coffee itself is produced at Kona, and these K cups include 100% Kona coffee. If you want a delicious medium roasted coffee that is non-GMO and in recyclable capsules, this is the K cup for you.