Anyone tried making their own chocolate covered coffee beans?

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I've looked into it. it appears you need a certain piece of equipment (like a cement mixer barrel) to roll the beans through the chocolate to get a nice, even cover. There is also a lacquer spray the pros use, apparently.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
The Lovely & Talented Roast Mistress has, on the rare occasion cooked some beans a little too long. It's happened a couple of times when roasting too small of a batch in too big of a roaster.

Anyway she made up for the faux pas by pouring chocolate she has expertly liquefied into ice trays then adding beans. Very tasty and makes great gifts.

We then, because of the response, looked into the process and it is as described above. You've got the 'cement mixer' to tumble the beans and chocolate into nice uniform balls. From there you tumble them in a different machine where a sprayer 'lacquers' them and gives them their shine. In the end we decided we were busy enough trying to sell coffee but maybe sometime down the road. Also it has been a long time since the Roast Mistress produced anything less than a near-perfect or even a perfect roast. (Yes, I know which side my bread is buttered on!!:decaf:)

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the response. Just wondering if there is a way to hand dip the beans and then let them cool on a tray. Might not be perfectly round but then they would not cost alot because of the necessary equipment. Was thinking this might just be a little Xmas gift to bag up a 1/2 dozen or dozen for those important clients.

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I've thought about this a lot during the last few months.....

My first idea would be to get little chocolate molds of coffee beans and then fill with chocolate and add a bean or two before the chocolate sets.

The next idea would be to make chocolate bars and add beans (crushed?) to the mold before the chocolate hardens.

lw

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
I've known a few people who dipped their own coffee beans, and they were happy with the result. They bought coffee beans and some dipping chocolate (what they used for chocolate covered pretzels, etc.) and dipped the beans in the chocolate. I guess you'd need a fork or a pair of kitchen tweezers to get the beans out of the chocolate.

Craft stores and kitchen supply stores sell cooling racks for hand dipped items, or you could just set them on a sheet of waxed paper to let the chocolate dry and set. You could package them by placing a few beans in a little miniature paper muffin cup and then make up a small box of 6 or 12 muffin-cup packs.

The coffee beans won't be prefectly round and evenly coated, but they'll be packaged attractively and they'll be appreciated.

I'm sure you can find recipes and instructions online.

Rose

Katrina_O

Oct 19, 2012
Colorado
Visit site
I adore home cooking and have made batches of (non-lacquered) chocolate-covered nuts in the past. Here's how:

I melt chocolate with a bit of shortening in a large pot, put the beans (nuts, in my case) in a fine mesh colander. Dip them into the chocolate and shake a bit. This allows you to dip large amounts with minimal mess. I let excess chocolate drip off for a few seconds, then turn them out on a silicon baking mat to harden, usually in the refrigerator. It’s not perfect, but you did say they don’t need to be, so I assume it’s for home consumption.

Just my input. I’ve never actually tried this with coffee beans, but I might soon.

Katrina_O

Oct 19, 2012
Colorado
Visit site
I just had a thought on this subject. If you want to make prettier chocolate-covered beans with a better shine, purchase small candy molds. Drop a bean in each mold and pour in melted chocolate, or maybe pour in chocolate and them put a bean in each one. You could choose different shapes for holidays and such, too.
:coffee:

JC_Gupton

Oct 7, 2013
Visit site
Any updates on this subject? I ate some chocolate covered beans a while back.
They were great !! Other than the black bits left in my teeth. I own a roaster. This might be a great small biz.

updates

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Here is a video on how to easily make chocolate coffee beans (mess free)

As the title says has anyone tried to make their own chocolate covered coffee beans, and if so what was the success or problems you found?

Yes, here is a video on how to easily make chocolate coffee beans (mess free). Type in google search: How to make chocolate covered coffee beans mess free you tube video. It's a good method virtually mess free; used with great success! Complete directions can be found on this website: Cake Palate (dot) com

Last edited: