why aren't there any american coffee makers that use robusta bean in their coffee?

idrinkcoffee2011

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
i went to the markets its like arabica beans every brand. ever since folgers instants went tainted, i haven't really been able to find a strong equvilant replacement.

i went on amazon and it like only one foreign brand that did robusta, i was like what the hell man?

i don't really know the formula folgers used for their instant before they went tainted, but i suspect they had some if not all robusta in it cuz it made me felt charged cognition-wise and elated.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Most if not all supermarket brand coffees use Robusta in them partially or totally. Only coffee that states 100% Arabica will not use Robusta because Robusta is so much cheaper than arabica beans. As far as the buzz is concerned it is true that Robusta has more caffine but part of it may be psychological as well.

idrinkcoffee2011

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
the buzz has been people been getting sick with folgers and maxwell house. american makers been seriously going downhill. i can't link but there been too many complains here and there.

bprotsman

Jan 13, 2008
Ft Lauderdale
Visit site
I would agree w/ CanadianBrian. Most canned or 50lb bags of supermarket coffee use Robusta. Maybe venture into the Specialty coffee market were 100% Arabica is king. The big boys you mention mass produce coffee with cheaper beans sourced from around the world. Check out a local small batch roaster in your area for fresh roasted beans. if its just a buzz your looking for try redline or check w/ your local crack dealer.:decaf:

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Robusta has gotten a bad reputation in the US. However, there are quality robusta beans available. I currently have a bag of mexican robusta we're using in one of our espresso blends.

I'd be happy to make you a strong arabica/robusta blend or even just send a sample of robusta for you to try.

scott

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
True there are a few amazing robustas out there that can enhance crema but I wounder what the perception is regarding 100% arabica and coffee that is not 100% arabica?
I guess its all in how you sell it to the customer.
Brian

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Its all about customer education, imo. Most anyone who has enjoyed an espresso based drink in Europe has probably consumed some robusta in the mix.

Btw, the robista we are using adds an interesting complexity to the flavor as well as enhancing crema.

expat

May 1, 2012
Ireland
Visit site
Hey idrinkcoffee, you can drink our Buzz Bomb, we've got a good dose of robusta in that blend. "Two cups," we say, "and you may never sleep again!"

But you're talking instant, and that's usually fairly packed with robusta because the coffee maker knows that it isn't taste but convenience that is the driving factor in the purchase (and they get to make more money per ounce). Is that true for you? If that's the case just keep trying different instants. You'll hit on one that'll work for you.

Of course you do realize that you'll burn in hell forever for drinking instant don't you? Repent while there's still time!!! (j-u-s-t a j-o-k-e :decaf:, I think you'll find that 'instant' is a bad word for most forum members).

TheKid

I would agree w/ CanadianBrian. Most canned or 50lb bags of supermarket coffee use Robusta. Maybe venture into the Specialty coffee market were 100% Arabica is king. The big boys you mention mass produce coffee with cheaper beans sourced from around the world. Check out a local small batch roaster in your area for fresh roasted beans. if its just a buzz your looking for try redline or check w/ your local crack dealer.:decaf:

Now that's hilarious.

dstrand

Apr 25, 2012
SF Bay Area
Visit site
Robusta has a reputation for bitterness. Most small roasters shy away from it, because of this perception. Also, by advertising that their coffee is 100% Arabica, they're implying that their coffee is higher quality. Which it may be. Then again, there are lousy Arabicas out there as well.

Cheers!

idrinkcoffee2011

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
i don't get how folgers used to make their instants then. it was like different from others in a distinctive superior way. when their instant was still fine, i happened to try some dunkin brew and it sucked. the brew made me felt weird and i was just off.

now i don't know how dunkin ranks amongst the brew big boys between the brands, but it was definitely inferior to folgers instant in terms of effect then anyways.

folgers instant was like really powerful for my cognition and mood. i was like able to think real clearly and mood-wise felt really elated.

then it like all changed and they tasted like chemicals all a sudden. and i haven't found anybody brew and/or instant as good as they were or even come close.

what so hard about duplicating what they had? but then again even after they faltered and i was forced to explore outward, i found differences even amongst brew brands. some better than other feeling-wise and cognition-wise.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Robusta coffee has more caffine in it. This creats the buzz so if it the buzz you are after maybe get an energy shot to go with your coffee because the arabica's won't have the same amount of caffine in them. Also, as we get older and in different stages of our life different things affect us differently. Lastly, our perceptions change over time. I still remember the best meal I ever had at a restaurant and when I went back a few more times it just didn't taste as good. Still great but not overwhelming like the first time I had it.
Brian