I have never enjoyed coffee, so recommend me some cheap & easy coffee beans to try...

grndslm

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I have never enjoyed coffee, so recommend me some cheap & easy coffee beans to try...

I recently purchased a cheap French Coffee Press to enjoy "real" coffee, because I've apparently never experienced the real thing. Never enjoyed the taste of it, so just never really drank it. But I'm sure there's something out there for me to love. I sure enjoy iced coffee with tons of creamer & sugar, but I feel like that's cheating.

My experience is limited to el cheapo brands that is already ground. But I know that the best coffee comes in beans and should only be ground when used immediately. I've got an electric grinder I picked up for $2 at a garage sale, and I'll be using a "Trader Joe's Everyday Seasoning w/ Built-In Grinder" jar for portable use [after I empty out the seasoning].

Soo.... I've got everything to experience REAL coffee, ok?? Everything... that is, except the coffee beans. :oops:

Tried looking at the local grocery store, and the only thing that comes in whole beans is Community. Are there any Community whole beans that are worth a hoot?? I saw around 5-7 flavors they had, maybe. Maybe WalMart will have a better selection??

I would prefer to find something easily and cheaply accessible. I really don't want to pay shipping for something that has a rather large chance of me not enjoying. Perhaps I could order something from Amazon, however, when I need a filler to get free shipping with a $25 order??

Any ideas??

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Maybe you have never enjoyed coffee because you have been too cheap to buy decent beans.

Find a local roaster and buy something that's freshly roasted.

PinkRose

Super Moderator
Staff member
Feb 28, 2008
Near Philadelphia, PA
Visit site
It's a shame you missed out on Free Shipping Monday! Next December, go to this website and check out the places that sell roasted beans (such as the one below).

Free Shipping Codes, Coupons & Promo Codes - Free Shipping Day 2012
Shop Coffee Brewer | Coffee Equipment | Coffee Grinder | Bunn Coffee Makers | Bunn Coffee - Coffee Wholesale USA

You will never find good coffee beans if you keep on looking for something that's cheap.

Do you have a local roaster in your area? You could always just go and buy a half pound of beans and try them out. Even Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts beans would be better than the ones on Amazon or Walmart. Keep in mind that you probably won't find "good" coffee beans for less than $10 a pound.

Rose

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Good Coffee

Maybe you have never enjoyed coffee because you have been too cheap to buy decent beans.

I think we need to define what is good coffee first before you can get to your amazing cup of coffee you crave or want.

90 percent of people in this world think Starbucks coffee is the greatest coffee or very good coffee. However, in coffee industry, most of the people know that is not true or disagree.
So how do you introduce good coffee to average coffee drinker about this secret(?) truth.....lol

To most of the people, coffee is simple morning drink. Some people would go out of their way to have better experiences but most of them just simply keep Folgers and other cheap and bitter brand at home for their "Morning Wake Up Call"...

So to answer your question, what is your expectation of great coffee?

Simply, we all can direct you to the great coffee of our idea... or ... industry standard but that might not be the answer you are looking for......Like when i was looking for that great bottle of wine that didn't exist until I defined my idea of "Great".

grndslm

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site

I've NEVER bought beans before. The extent of my coffee trials has mostly been limited to ground Folgers. :(

It's a shame you missed out on Free Shipping Monday! Next December, go to this website and check out the places that sell roasted beans (such as the one below).

You will never find good coffee beans if you keep on looking for something that's cheap.

Do you have a local roaster in your area? You could always just go and buy a half pound of beans and try them out. Even Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts beans would be better than the ones on Amazon or Walmart. Keep in mind that you probably won't find "good" coffee beans for less than $10 a pound.

Rose
That IS a shame. :(

Going to that one link provides me a way to whittle down my number of potential choices to around 50. Regular -- Whole Bean -- 1 lbs Bag or Less. Anyway I can easily whittle it down some more, or should I just stick with the most popular choice -- "All Day Gourmet Coffee - Fresh Roased - Celebes Kalossi"??

For now, I will definitely follow your advice and stick to the whole beans at Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. Just did a quick Google search for a local roaster and found one about 15 miles away, so I will check them out next time I'm in that direction.

I think we need to define what is good coffee first before you can get to your amazing cup of coffee you crave or want.

90 percent of people in this world think Starbucks coffee is the greatest coffee or very good coffee. However, in coffee industry, most of the people know that is not true or disagree.
So how do you introduce good coffee to average coffee drinker about this secret(?) truth.....lol

To most of the people, coffee is simple morning drink. Some people would go out of their way to have better experiences but most of them just simply keep Folgers and other cheap and bitter brand at home for their "Morning Wake Up Call"...

So to answer your question, what is your expectation of great coffee?

Simply, we all can direct you to the great coffee of our idea... or ... industry standard but that might not be the answer you are looking for......Like when i was looking for that great bottle of wine that didn't exist until I defined my idea of "Great".
I don't think it's too difficult to recommend a generic beer for someone who wants to find good beer.

No matter who you are...

- Sierra Nevada WHEAT (not the Pale Ale, which I do enjoy from time to time) is a great beer that anyone can enjoy.
- Abita Restoration is a great beer.
- Abita Jockamo is best served with seafood, like crab legs.
- Magic Hat #9 is good.
- SweetWater 420 is good.
- Sam Adams Boston Lager is OK, but there is a huge variation in its flavor from batch to batch for a number of reasons, so not the first I'd recommend.

If you wanna be cheap...

- Pabst Blue Ribbon is certainly better than most other "American" beers that are no longer headquartered in America.

If you wanna be REALLY cheap...

- Steel Reserve will get the job done as well. But it's best to pour directly into a glass to let the excess carbonation fizz out. Definitely worth 99c for a 24 oz. :)

Or perhaps you want the BEST beer that money can buy??? For me it's....

- Rogue Brutal IPA (around $6 for a 22 oz. bottle, which really ain't that expensive for its awesome flavor)

=========

These are what I would call recommendations. Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts would seem to be more like recommendations of coffee outlets. But perhaps coffee beans are not quite as moldable to designer names and such? The choices will be limited to light, medium, and dark.... of which I will more than likely ignore the dark roast choices.

Guess I just need to do a bit more researching...

Last edited:

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
Lets compare apple to apple

I've NEVER bought beans before. The extent of my coffee trials has mostly been limited to ground Folgers. :(

That IS a shame. :(

Going to that one link provides me a way to whittle down my number of potential choices to around 50. Regular -- Whole Bean -- 1 lbs Bag or Less. Anyway I can easily whittle it down some more, or should I just stick with the most popular choice -- "All Day Gourmet Coffee - Fresh Roased - Celebes Kalossi"??

For now, I will definitely follow your advice and stick to the whole beans at Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts. Just did a quick Google search for a local roaster and found one about 15 miles away, so I will check them out next time I'm in that direction.

I don't think it's too difficult to recommend a generic beer for someone who wants to find good beer.

No matter who you are...

- Sierra Nevada WHEAT (not the Pale Ale, which I do enjoy from time to time) is a great beer that anyone can enjoy.
- Abita Restoration is a great beer.
- Abita Jockamo is best served with seafood, like crab legs.
- Magic Hat #9 is good.
- SweetWater 420 is good.
- Sam Adams Boston Lager is OK, but there is a huge variation in its flavor from batch to batch for a number of reasons, so not the first I'd recommend.

If you wanna be cheap...

- Pabst Blue Ribbon is certainly better than most other "American" beers that are no longer headquartered in America.

If you wanna be REALLY cheap...

- Steel Reserve will get the job done as well. But it's best to pour directly into a glass to let the excess carbonation fizz out. Definitely worth 99c for a 24 oz. :)

Or perhaps you want the BEST beer that money can buy??? For me it's....

- Rogue Brutal IPA (around $6 for a 22 oz. bottle, which really ain't that expensive for its awesome flavor)

=========

These are what I would call recommendations. Starbucks and Dunkin Donuts would seem to be more like recommendations of coffee outlets. But perhaps coffee beans are not quite as moldable to designer names and such? The choices will be limited to light, medium, and dark.... of which I will more than likely ignore the dark roast choices.

Guess I just need to do a bit more researching...

Ok you want those kinda generic answers?

1. You want cheap coffee bean that taste pretty decent?

Try the Kroger brand coffee that cost around 7-8 dollars a pound

2. You want something little better?

try Dunkin Donut morning blend That should cost around 10 buck a pound

3. You want little better?

Try Kona bean for around 14-16 dollars

4 You want little more exotic?

Try Blue mountain blend for around 18 dollars a pound

5 You want to go all out?

Try the Blue Mountain coffee... Whole bean... It should cost anywhere from 30-150 dollar a pound or you can try Kopi Luwak coffee and pay around 150 dollar a pound

This is the generic answer..

The coffee is really different from the beer. There are many different way to roasting, blending and even ground. So if you want to try something really good? You should try different bean and find your taste rather then just asking what is the best bean. Because my taste is different from everyone else......

grndslm

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Ok you want those kinda generic answers?

1. You want cheap coffee bean that taste pretty decent?

Try the Kroger brand coffee that cost around 7-8 dollars a pound

2. You want something little better?

try Dunkin Donut morning blend That should cost around 10 buck a pound

3. You want little better?

Try Kona bean for around 14-16 dollars

4 You want little more exotic?

Try Blue mountain blend for around 18 dollars a pound

5 You want to go all out?

Try the Blue Mountain coffee... Whole bean... It should cost anywhere from 30-150 dollar a pound or you can try Kopi Luwak coffee and pay around 150 dollar a pound

This is the generic answer..

The coffee is really different from the beer. There are many different way to roasting, blending and even ground. So if you want to try something really good? You should try different bean and find your taste rather then just asking what is the best bean. Because my taste is different from everyone else......
Thank you Mr. Junky. :p

I picked up some Dunkin Donut "original blend" from Walgreens for less than $6 after tax (for a 12 oz bag that was on sale, plus a 50c coupon). So it's a good trial purchase, I guess. I've heard from someone else that the breakfast/morning blend was better.... wonder if I got the wrong one.

Last edited:

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Are there no coffee roasters in your area?

Anything FRESH from a local roaster should be better than a national brand found on a grocer's shelf, imo.

CanadianBrian

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hello Fly
As stated in numerous other posts this is a public forum not an advertizing forum. P,lease stop trying to sell your coffee here on the forums unless your become a sponsor and pay for the privaledge.
Brian

grndslm

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Are there no coffee roasters in your area?

Anything FRESH from a local roaster should be better than a national brand found on a grocer's shelf, imo.
As I stated earlier, there is ONE local roaster, but it's close to 15 miles west of me. I usually travel East and kept calling other places that looked like they may potentially be roasters. One roast said that this shop to the west of me is "OK", but that they preferred to order from a bigger city almost 100 miles away.

Soooo...... I dunno. I'll figure it out tho.

For now, I've still got at least half my bag of Dunkin Donuts beans. And I've also ordered a coffee blend that was recommended elsewhere on the forum, but it's pretty much on the entire opposite side of the globe. But after we finish that, I'll look into the one local roaster, the "better" roaster that would still require shipping.... and then make up my mind from there.

But I've got no real qualms with my current setup, so it looks like I'll have a coffee-full life from now on!!

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
If you do not have local roaster, maybe you could try to roast your own. Look up Home coffee roasting on Youtube and you will find many different people roasting many different ways.
Advantage of roasting own home.

1. Cheaper to roast then buy roasted bean (your favorite part)
2. You can really taste single origin beans. (much superior)
3. You have much better control over the darkness of the beans. So you can control the taste of the beans.
4. Its fun.... I guess that can be depends on the person.

Disadvantage

1. You will have learning time... so few wasted beans
2. YOu will have to purchase some type of Roaster. ( I used to use Whirley Pop) Buy something cheap or something you already have
3. You will drink much more coffee then you ever imagine you would

Cheers

dtatum

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site
Medium roasts are the best neutral coffees for beginners. When at the supermarket, look for coffees made with 100% Arabica Beans. They are the best coffee beans worldwide. We like the Eight OClock brand, Starbucks, Dunkin Donuts coffee, etc.... Stay true to the Arabica beans and the Medium roasts and you will find what you like.