Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

How do you prefer your beans to be roasted?? Light, Medium, Full, or Double Roast?

This is a discussion on How do you prefer your beans to be roasted?? Light, Medium, Full, or Double Roast? within the Coffee Beans & Espresso Beans forums, part of the Coffee Addicts category; Some of us are so blessed to be able to roast our own bean.... If you are not roasting your own bean...I encourage anyone to ...

Some of us are so blessed to be able to roast our own bean.... If you are not roasting your own bean...I encourage anyone to try. Just little investment(20-50dollars) to be able to roast at home..... It is liberating experience....
    It is very difficult to roast all your beans but once you roast your own bean, you can find out what really hit your taste bud....

2. # ADS

I like light roast sometimes. It's very tricky to pull off. For kona coffee I tend to prefer their darker roasts more.

How expensive is to purchase Kona green beans. I love Kona beans but I haven't been able to find supplier with decent price.

I normally roast Sidamo, Sumatra, Yirgacheffe and Kona beans little darker as well.
    I love light roast, just about end of the first crack for most of my south american beans...

How expensive is to purchase Kona green beans. I love Kona beans but I haven't been able to find supplier with decent price.
    Expensive. Due to the shortage from the Beetle bug destroying most crops the price has gone way up. Supply/demand.
    Instead of seeing the extra fancies and fancy grade there's a lot of Prime out there.

Anyways, when did we start calling F/R "double roast"??

I prefer medium to dark roast coffee bean because this is produced from 100% Rainforest Alliance certified coffee beans, good for health and have a great taste.

Kenco Vending

Because I can roast my own beans I have the luxury of roasting each bean to different levels. And often the bean has quite a range of wonderful flavors, each showing up at different roast levels. Sometimes when I hit the 'perfect roast' I'm happy with that, whatever level it is. Otherwise I like to blend the coffees so, say with my 'double roasted' Colombian, I roast one light-medium and one just past 2nd crack and blend the two together. Right now I usually do that 50/50 but varying the ratio would be a way to vary the taste.

So with my 'double roast' I get all the flowery, citriusy, honey flavours with the lighter roast and all the caramel and chocolatey flavours with the dark. When the coffee is hot, right out of the brew pot I really taste one set of flavours. As the coffee cools I get to enjoy a range of flavours right on down the temperature scale.

And someone posted on this thread that coffee shouldn't be bitter. That's true. I've found the best way to really taste your coffee is at room temperature. Make a cup the way you'd normally make it right out of your brew pot -- black, with cream, with sugar, etc. Then let it sit for an hour and assume room temperature. Now drink it. If it tastes like swill you're drinking a low class cup of coffee. If it still tastes great (and I'm happy to say that The Lovely & Talented Roast Mistress does such a nice job that our coffee is still very tasty at room temp as opposed to most store bought coffee which isn't, it gets quite bitter and 'swilly', possibly because more roasters, especially the big guys, are loading up their blends with a lot more Robusta than before) you've got a good cup of coffee. The reason I sugges this is scientifically our taste buds are most sensitive in a narrow room temperature range. Hotter or colder starts masking the flavour for a number of reasons. This isn't to say I'm an advocate of drinking room temp coffee all the time. No, I still like it hot (and I'd miss the great aroma if it was just room temp) but you should try it to really 'understand' the coffee you're drinking. Again, if it is nasty to drink at room temp then you should treat yourself to a better grade of coffee.
    Last edited by expat; 01-29-2013 at 03:59 AM.
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been -- Jimmy Buffett (via Mark Twain)

That is very interesting and also I had an experience of drinking coffee left in my car over night...(sounds disgusting) but I really needed coffee and I was nowhere near where I can get a cup. When I discover I had a cup left over from night before, my initial thought was to dump it out and clean my cup but my curiosity took over and tasted what I had in my cup. Amazingly enough I did like what I had in my cup. The taste was actually pretty good and didn't feel any bitterness or foul taste(luckily it was middle of November).
    I ended up finishing the cup.... I will try again and I wouldn't hesitate to drink room temperature coffee again in the future.....

I just started roasting this week.

i have a 10lb bag of Peruvian SHB Organic beans and so far i've roasted Light, Medium, and Dark. My light and medium look real dry while the dark ones are very oily.

i haven't tried the dark yet but i liked the light and i loved the medium. The medium i found actually had a bit of a sweeter taste and the flavour came out more as the cup cooled a bit.

i'll try the dark tonight but so far i think i might have hit the nail on the head with the medium

Super Moderator
    I accidently discovered the chocolate undertones in my Papula New Guinea coffee one day when I fixed my coffee and walked away from it to do something else (which turned out to be about an hour). When I realized what I had done, I decided to take a sip anyway, and I was amazed at the chocolate flavor. I knew Papua New Guinea coffee was supposed to have chocolate undertones, but I never really tasted the chocolate until that day. It was so good that I finished the rest of the coffee and I wished I had more.

Rose
    Last edited by PinkRose; 01-30-2013 at 05:20 PM.

I haven't had Papua new Guinea in few months until couple of days ago and realized how great it was again.... I need to order bean..... I will try at room temp this time....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ads