Does darker roast mean stronger coffee?

htjunkie

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I got a new Jura machine and the shop gave me a bag of Deterra Farms Espresso Yellow bag to try out. I mentioned I like dark coffee (perhaps I was using the wrong term), I was more referring to richer and have a stronger smell coffee.

No matter how I try the combinations for coffee, cappuccino, there's always a bitter taste in the coffee, doesn't smell too good either. I'm guessing it's the bean not the machine?

If it's the case with the bag I have, what else should I try? There are so many options out there and I don't know where to start. A pound a bag will last quite a few cups so I want to narrow down some of the options before trying out another bag.

Much appreciate your help.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
It would be much cheaper to try Pod brewing since you can get them in different type of beans in smaller quantity.

To answer your question, normally espresso beans are roasted very dark. Which means, most of the people do not brew espresso beans for normal coffee drinking.
Most of the people will agree medium roast is best for coffee drinking rather then Dark roast. However it really is depends on the person how they really like the roast...

I sound like broken record but it is better to find the local roaster and see if you can get real good advise on fresh roasted beans. That would be easiest way to find your liking.....

Good Luck....

htjunkie

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
The bag was roasted a day before I got it so it should be fresh, probably just not the taste I'm after for this particular case. I'm using a fairly coarse setting to grind the beans, not sure if I should try different settings?

I do have a Keurig machine and while I do like it with flexibility, I like to try to make different drinks.

Thanks for your help.

CoffeeJunky

Dec 7, 2012
Michigan, US
Visit site
The grinder should be set for very fine ground for Espresso. But should be pretty coarse for drip brewing. Amount of the coffee matters as well. About .7 oz for every shot of espresso.
I do let the bean sit for a day after roasting. To me one day of resting in room temperature bring much more flavor and aroma to the beans.

Try to purchase medium roast single origin bean. If you like stronger coffee, try Sumatra or African origin coffee. You will find them to be much more intense and flavorful....

Cheers...

eldub

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I'm not too fond of very dark roasts. Too thin and bitter/smokey, imo. The darker the roast, the less caffeine as well.

I'm with coffeejunky on this one... When a customer tells me he/she likes a strong cup, I usually steer them toward a sumatra single origin or blend. We developed a central american/sumatran blend we call Amnesia (America/Indonesia... Am-nesia))that goes over well with those preferring a bold/strong cup.

Unfortunately, in my experience, sumatran beans don't work so well as a single origin in an espresso application. While we blend the amnesia at 50/50 for drip applications, 10-20% sumatran is prolly the way to go for espresso.